Noel Gallagher and David Holmes

All other music. New and well established bands/artists.
rangers

Noel Gallagher and David Holmes

Post by rangers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Anybody else enjoying this collaboration so far? To be honest I had become really bored with Noels music but this has gave it the kick up the arse needed. The lead single holy mountain is a excellent.
I'm maybe a bit biased as I've been a Holmes fan for years ever since don't die just yet. Holy pictures is great too.
I respect Liam for getting off his arse and doing something with his team of writers but Noels new stuff is pissing all over it for me. Each to their own though.

made of scone

Re: Noel Gallagher and David Holmes

Post by made of scone » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:06 pm

Noel isn't an artist, he's a fraud. A man once capable of writing very catchy melodic songs with mostly poor lyrics that'd be elevated by the talent of his brother. Now he doesn't have Mr Elevator with him, nor is he capable of writing a good song anymore. Instead he chooses to package his shortcomings in this phony "experimental" farce that will of course sound forward-thinking to a Q magazine reader.

It's insulting to bands & artists that have come before to casually throw terms like Krautrock to describe Noel's middle of the road shit. It's as embarrassing as when Coldplay name-check Kraftwerk, or U2 associate themselves with Eno in a desperate attempt to pass themselves off as being interesting, when in reality they're to rock what Kenny G is to Jazz, an utter embarrassment.

Noel Gallagher is the biggest snake in music, also he is reaching Morrissey levels of cringe each time he opens his miserable fucking gob.

rangers

Post by rangers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:20 pm

I don't know mate, I've actually got a new found respect for the guy. Regarding his output and songwriting. But I definitely you know what you mean about his plagiarism. I felt so sorry for bands he ripped from in the 90's like the beta band and spiritualized. But in the fullness of time you can't help admire his knack for a tune. i do admire your varied musical tastes mate so this isn't a dig but I've noticed you are a bit of a primal scream fan like myself. The scream are the biggest con artists out there. Loaded isn't even them it's Andrew weatherall. Both screamadelica and extmtr rely very heavily on their the producers who in fact are more responsible for the record than the scream. And when they rely on themselves as a band they come across like some stones/faces/dolls tribute band. Noels problem is he stole from the most popular artists in the world. bobby Gillespie just has a better record collection than Noel and he steals from more obscure artists. I've got an old keb darge funk complimation with a song that's practically word for word like moving on up. Rocks is a stones and faces cover with the drum loop from dance to the music by sly and the family stone. Kraftwek you say? Autobahn 66. Everybody's at it mate. Very rarely does a truly original band come along. Anyway back to noel. Never used to dream of putting oasis up there with the roses but you got to admit it takes talent to reach different generations and different kinds of people with your ur music. When oasis were at their peak it just wasn't my generation who liked them, your older ex punk cousin and your little sister loved them. You got to admire that.
And like I said I'm a David Holmes fan. Got into his music around the time of the whole trip hop scene with tricky massive attack, Dj shadow and Unkle. He is the man that introduced me to sixto Rodriguez from one of his mixed comps way before he was cool again.
Anyway I'm treating Noels album like a David Holmes album with Noel on lyrics and vocals. Which going by the first two songs isn't too bad.
A David Holmes album with Noel what's not to like.

Hampden In June

Post by Hampden In June » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:38 pm

rangers wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:05 pm
Anybody else enjoying this collaboration so far? To be honest I had become really bored with Noels music but this has gave it the kick up the arse needed. The lead single holy mountain is a excellent.
I'm maybe a bit biased as I've been a Holmes fan for years ever since don't die just yet. Holy pictures is great too.
I respect Liam for getting off his arse and doing something with his team of writers but Noels new stuff is pissing all over it for me. Each to their own though.
Liam album grew on me, but I am really liking this noel stuff, beautiful world is my favourite out of the 3 singles. It is different and I am sure it will be his best solo album. I really cant wait to see this stuff played live :D

rangers

Post by rangers » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:16 pm

it's sounding decent enough on first listen. I'm going to be really picky and say my only criticism so far is that it sound a tiny bit compressed. The new unkle album is the same. Makes it sound like it was made on a computer rather than in a studio. But aye good first listen.

rangers

Post by rangers » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:07 pm

made of scone wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:06 pm
Noel isn't an artist, he's a fraud. A man once capable of writing very catchy melodic songs with mostly poor lyrics that'd be elevated by the talent of his brother. Now he doesn't have Mr Elevator with him, nor is he capable of writing a good song anymore. Instead he chooses to package his shortcomings in this phony "experimental" farce that will of course sound forward-thinking to a Q magazine reader.

It's insulting to bands & artists that have come before to casually throw terms like Krautrock to describe Noel's middle of the road shit. It's as embarrassing as when Coldplay name-check Kraftwerk, or U2 associate themselves with Eno in a desperate attempt to pass themselves off as being interesting, when in reality they're to rock what Kenny G is to Jazz, an utter embarrassment.

Noel Gallagher is the biggest snake in music, also he is reaching Morrissey levels of cringe each time he opens his miserable fucking gob.
Your a fucking fraud

made of scone

Post by made of scone » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:33 pm

Jesus, the album is even worse than I expected.

jblack

Post by jblack » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 am

I harbour none of MoS's scathing ill will. I think Noel is almost as good an interview as he thinks he is, and while he was never any kind of visionary, he genuinely stumbled into a magical place from 1993-95, his inarticulate but soaring songs put through the sausage grinder of the world's most primitive band. It all fell apart when they started to replace the incompetents with professional musicians, accidentally throwing away their main asset. The only thing worse than an Alan White drum part is a Gem Archer solo. But I digress.

Anyway, I like Noel. And I like David Holmes, who has great taste and is an excellent DJ and curator. His remix of Smokebelch II is one of my very favourite songs. But MY GOD that new Noel stuff is dire. Directionless bombast, seemingly random 'sonic experimentation', terrible tunes and the usual cringeworthy lyrics sung in his strainted and slightly nauseating voice. One should celebrate an older artist in search of adventure. Some of Weller's old-age records have been terrific. But Noel doesn't appear to have any idea how to experiment or branch out. He has no vision for this music, and the results are just bad.

rangers

Post by rangers » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:16 pm

jblack wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 am
I harbour none of MoS's scathing ill will. I think Noel is almost as good an interview as he thinks he is, and while he was never any kind of visionary, he genuinely stumbled into a magical place from 1993-95, his inarticulate but soaring songs put through the sausage grinder of the world's most primitive band. It all fell apart when they started to replace the incompetents with professional musicians, accidentally throwing away their main asset. The only thing worse than an Alan White drum part is a Gem Archer solo. But I digress.

Anyway, I like Noel. And I like David Holmes, who has great taste and is an excellent DJ and curator. His remix of Smokebelch II is one of my very favourite songs. But MY GOD that new Noel stuff is dire. Directionless bombast, seemingly random 'sonic experimentation', terrible tunes and the usual cringeworthy lyrics sung in his strainted and slightly nauseating voice. One should celebrate an older artist in search of adventure. Some of Weller's old-age records have been terrific. But Noel doesn't appear to have any idea how to experiment or branch out. He has no vision for this music, and the results are just bad.
Noel doesn't know how to experiment mate, that's why he's paying Holmes a fortune for producing his album. But it is what it is. It's hardly mccartney as the Fireman and I think of it more of a Holmes record. It's not real songs, it's not supposed to be. But to be honest the single still gets me every time. I've got room for an upbeat record with some positive lyrics.

What about the extra tune though! Talk about out of context. Good enough song but just so out of place on here.
I think in a perfect world Noel would have given us a record like Micheal heads last one. Lose the high flying birds get back to solo
Acoustic.
But I like this more than his last and fair play for giving it a bash. And in my opinion better than Liam's.
Last edited by rangers on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rangers

Post by rangers » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:44 pm

"Get out of the doldrums baby"