The Music

All other music. New and well established bands/artists.
Rich

The Music

Post by Rich » Thu May 18, 2017 9:54 am

Been rediscovering The Music the last couple of weeks, and basically been blown away by how good they were!

I remember listening to their debut in the early 2000s and liking the singles, and a few songs from Welcome to the North, but then forgot about them until recently. It might be that my tastes have changed since those days, as I now have a newfound appreciation for how amazing they were.

Great bass, John Squire-influenced guitarist, metronomic drummer, and Robert Harvey - what a voice!

Seems like they were pretty big here in Japan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXqisHIYRxY

Gutted that I have only just seriously got into them, otherwise I could have seen them live here before they split up. But enjoying buying their EPs, live DVDs, and their third album which has some great dance beats throughout.

I have a new favourite band.

made of scone

Re: The Music

Post by made of scone » Thu May 18, 2017 3:19 pm

I was obsessed with them when they released Take The Long Road (the 1st time around). Really liked their early EPs Fuck Me, Getaway & The People. The debut, though I really liked it a lot never quite met expectations. Second & third records had their moments but I had kind of lost interest by then.

Still a terrific live act, must've seen them a good 10 times over the years & they were always great.

Cedar_Room

Post by Cedar_Room » Wed May 31, 2017 6:03 am

Saw them live a few times,first time they were supportered by (the then unknown) Kings of Leon. The first EP,You Might As Well Try To **** Me is a cracker an all,all 4 tunes are ace!

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed May 31, 2017 10:34 am

Favourite track at the moment is The Price, a bonus track on the Japanese edition of Strength in Numbers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DUNUs-H9eA

Seems like Robert Harvey joined up with Mike Skinner (The Streets) after disbanding The Music. Not really fond of that duo (called The D.O.T.), to be honest.

He has had battles with depression over the years, so I guess the fact that he is happier is the main thing, but The Music's final song from the 4th album sessions is a tantalising glimpse of what could have been in store:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pcxenQYNB4

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:28 am

Yeah, I liked Ghost Hands and was looking forward to a 4th album as I loved the other 3 and still play them regularly. They were one of my favourite bands at the time and remain well respected in my eye. I loved the record covers and artwork too.