Marks out of ten for the reunion

Stone Roses Discussion
Awful One

Marks out of ten for the reunion

Post by Awful One » Fri May 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Kind of lost all the moaning threads so here's a new version

For me,
2011-2013 11/10 mind blowing and emotional

2014-2017 4/10 (sadly) disappointing, the New York gig seemed great and BT was reasonable, the rest, not so good.

f0olsgold

Re: Marks out of ten for the reunion

Post by f0olsgold » Fri May 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Awful One wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 4:06 pm
What a sad, sad man you are.

Awful One

Post by Awful One » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:21 am

Now all over, any other scores on the doors ?

I pretty much stand by mine.

Really was in two very distinct phases for me so I guess I would keep those two seperate scores, as saying an overall 7/10 or so just doesn't do justice to the Euphoria of the First Phase and the General Feeling of a Waste Of Time Of the Second

Rich

Post by Rich » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:33 am

Awful One wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 4:06 pm

For me,
2011-2013 11/10 mind blowing and emotional

2014-2017 4/10 (sadly) disappointing, the New York gig seemed great and BT was reasonable, the rest, not so good.
Difficult to argue with your ratings, but I would perhaps give 2011-2013 an 8/10.

Reasons for a couple of docked points include making out that Heaton Park was going to be the start of the world tour, then announcing European gigs after those shows had sold out. Shane Meadows. The Reni/cunt occurance. Shane Meadows. That Adidas corporate gig. Made of Stone documentary letdown. Shane Meadows. No new songs played live despite "newies" appearing on the practise schedule.

2014-2017, yeah a 4/10 seems about right. It was great to hear new music, and the Sydney/NYC shows sounded great. But became more and more clear that they were milking fans dry, searching for more money despite already having more than a few million in the bank. Lack of support acts, same setlists, half-arsed and under-rehearsed performances, no communication, rip off merchandise, expensive ticket prices, gig cancellations for questionable reasons, fallings out, lack of Beautiful Thing. The lemon thing was fun but became stale after a while once the news didn&t live up to the hype.

Actually I think a 4 is too generous - I would give it a 3 at best.

ChickenDinner

Post by ChickenDinner » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:03 am

Everyone agrees Shane Meadows is a twat?

Rich

Post by Rich » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:24 am

ChickenDinner wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:03 am
Everyone agrees Shane Meadows is a twat?
Absolutely. Watched Made of Stone again last night, although skipped bits, especially the part when Meadows is sitting in his hotel room after the Amsterdam gig. Very self-indulgent. He shouldn't have been in the film at all. Nobody cares about you and your story Shane!

(Sorry, doesn't take much for me to go on a Shane Meadows rant!!)

SonorBubinga

Post by SonorBubinga » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:06 am

9.5/10

Wasn't really expecting an album, they fulfilled my dreams. They lost half a mark for leaving One Love out the set though!

ChickenDinner

Post by ChickenDinner » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:01 am

Rich wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:24 am

Absolutely. Watched Made of Stone again last night, although skipped bits, especially the part when Meadows is sitting in his hotel room after the Amsterdam gig. Very self-indulgent. He shouldn't have been in the film at all. Nobody cares about you and your story Shane!

(Sorry, doesn't take much for me to go on a Shane Meadows rant!!)
I agree. Also criminal they would not allow any interviews or decent backstage footage AND he still accepted the gig! Lost any ounce of credibility he ever had, right there, ime. A love letter? Where's the wanker emoticon when I really need it?

brownie

Post by brownie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:01 pm

9/10

I got to see them live for the first time at a gig that may have been one of Ian's best live vocal performances ever (Madison Square Garden). I honestly went into that gig not expecting a lot because I know what Ian is usually like in a live setting (and why I gave up on seeking out live recordings after I'd heard a few, years ago). Aside from that, the vibe in that place was awesome. Everyone around me on their feet the entire time, singing along to every word, hugging people I'd never met before and would never see again. I honestly have never had a live music experience quite like that before and it will be hard to top.

Sitting in the theater watching Made of Stone. I had goosebumps on top of goosebumps hearing that music while watching them 10 feet tall on a screen.

My only disappontment was All For One. I remember getting that tweet saying a new song would be released in few hours. I was completely jumping out of my skin in anticipation. And then I heard it. WTF? *laughs*. I never really did warm up to it.

Sorry to hear this has been such a disapponting experience for so many of you.

made of scone

Post by made of scone » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:00 pm

3/10