Ian Brown Solo

Stone Roses Discussion
lazyitus

Re: Ian Brown Solo

Post by lazyitus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:35 pm

We're running out of time here. I actually thought we would have an IB solo album before the end of the year.
I'm ready for it, looking forward to it.

Raeganîo

Post by Raeganîo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:55 pm

It would be nice to finally hear an Ian Brown solo record, though I don't believe he's actually capable of producing one.
He would have written and recorded one years ago if he had it in him.
There are too many different writers, musicians and producers involved with his past releases for them to be considered as "solo". He's about as solo as Justin Beeber or Katy Perry.
Happy new year everyone!

thewiseman

Post by thewiseman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:34 am

There are too many different writers, musicians and producers involved with his past releases for them to be considered as "solo"
I even heard some other guy drove the van carrying the physical releases from the pressing plant to the distribution hubs for 'My Way'. What a complete charlatan !

Joke aside I know what you mean. Its a shame Ian never really took his basic musical talents further from the Unfinished Monkey Business days. Just being a little bit better on guitar or keys maybe, could have been interesting, rather than relying on Mssrs McCracken and Ibrahim all the time.

Interesting point of comparison here - How a certain G Michael, who couldn't play a note either, made Last Christmas pretty much entirely on his own in the studio.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... -christmas

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:59 pm

We're never going to get an 'Innervisions' or 'McCartney II' out of IB, but I see the point about him being over-reliant on the likes of Aziz, McCracken and Frank Dunnery. I'd like to see IB front a Humble Pie type band: swapping instruments, trying acoustic and electric stuff, more than one vocalist... JS and other old mates and 'names' could appear. Pie in the sky though, eh? (crap puns time :roll: ;) ).

thewiseman

Post by thewiseman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:44 pm

I had this vision of Brown doing an album with Doves years back, a kind of windswept northern cinematic vibe. Steve Mason could produce it.

eviltimeban

Post by eviltimeban » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:04 am

Whatever his approach was, it seemed to work very well and gel completely on Music Of The Spheres. The combination of his vocals, lyrics, the production, and guitar playing made that album very special.

If we do get a new IB album, I would expect it will be more of the same, hip hop / R&B / reggae inspired. MOTS worked so well as it wasn't just one thing, it threw it all into the pot. So we had some Pink Floyd (Nothern Lights), some psychedelic hip-hop (Stardust, Gravy Train), upbeat guitar stuff (Shadow of A Saint), and genuinely inspired music (FEAR).

The problem with his last few albums is that they were too much of the one thing.

Regan 2.0

Post by Regan 2.0 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:43 pm

eviltimeban wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:04 am
Whatever his approach was, it seemed to work very well and gel completely on Music Of The Spheres. The combination of his vocals, lyrics, the production, and guitar playing made that album very special.

If we do get a new IB album, I would expect it will be more of the same, hip hop / R&B / reggae inspired. MOTS worked so well as it wasn't just one thing, it threw it all into the pot. So we had some Pink Floyd (Nothern Lights), some psychedelic hip-hop (Stardust, Gravy Train), upbeat guitar stuff (Shadow of A Saint), and genuinely inspired music (FEAR).

The problem with his last few albums is that they were too much of the one thing.
100%

rangers

Post by rangers » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:24 pm

It will be very interesting to see what we get. If we get an album like His last few with a heavy emphasis on the production, I think it will be safe to say they weren't really working on any tracks as a band.
What I want is Unfinished Monkey business 2. Following the example of Mcartney 1&2.
Also the first unfinished monkey business had tracks left over from his time in the roses. This time it's the exact same.
Looks like drumming has improved too. I loved the lo-fi organic feel of that album.

AntifaSean

Post by AntifaSean » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:47 am

rangers wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:24 pm
It will be very interesting to see what we get. If we get an album like His last few with a heavy emphasis on the production, I think it will be safe to say they weren't really working on any tracks as a band.
What I want is Unfinished Monkey business 2. Following the example of Mcartney 1&2.
Also the first unfinished monkey business had tracks left over from his time in the roses. This time it's the exact same.
Looks like drumming has improved too. I loved the lo-fi organic feel of that album.
Totally agree mate. Arguably it’s the first time since UMB and Golden Greats that he’s going into it feeling like he has something to prove, which on the quality of those two records is really exciting as a fan. I love TWIY and My Way to bits for their own reasons, but they maybe came from a post-Godlike Genius award winning Ian Brown who was relaxed and could afford to indulge himself a bit. But in 2018 - being as gutted as the rest of us with how the Reunion ended - he is itching by comparison. I think his return this year will be a very decent consolation prize to the third Roses album for that reason
I don't wanna be a fat Western pig
Consuming everything in sight
I don't wanna crush you with my
Military might
All I really want is you