Ian Brown Solo

Stone Roses Discussion
squiresguitar

Ian Brown Solo

Post by squiresguitar » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:11 pm

So a lot of us are expecting new Brownie material, would you feel disappointed if Ian hasn't released anything new or spoke publicly regarding what's happening since the 'split' a year from now?
Last edited by squiresguitar on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jord

Re: Ian Brown Solo

Post by Jord » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:18 pm

Couldn't give two shits about Ian solo material sadly, unless John & Mani guest in which case I'll be interested. Hopes were made too high for a new roses album. Someone threw out an idea for John & Ian to do a project like Page/Plant did, that would be good. The only thing I wish for is a revealing interview to set the record straight to a degree about what went down.

trickydicky

Post by trickydicky » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:51 pm

I'm not interested in IB solo material except for the possibility that the lyrics might shed some light on what's been happening these last 6 years.

I'd also be interested to hear any songs that were written for the Roses but never recorded/released.

So basically I'm only interested in IB material if it provides insight into the Roses 8-)

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:58 pm

For me, an Ian Brown solo return shouldn't happen. Him cutting about in adidas gear giving it the cold stare and singing about the cosmos or whatever is not appealing. Leave it alone now. He may feel hard done by about how things turned out with the reunion but, unfortunately, he is guilty by association and taints his reputation a bit in my opinion. If he had walked away though....

eviltimeban

Post by eviltimeban » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:29 am

I'd like a new IB album, as his stuff was usually pretty good (though wasn't crazy about the last two). I liked the electronic music approach, and Music Of the Spheres is an album I listened to constantly for about two years (used to always have it on when having spliffs).

If there's nothing by summer 2018, that suggests he'd only be starting recording it this autumn, with a long enough gestation period.

It also would suggest the Roses wouldn't be done.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:03 pm

Would like to see an IB and JS project. With maybe Mani and other musicians if and when needed. A bit like Lennon in his earliest post-Beatles work (and, no, I don't mean bloody Yoko!), when John worked with George, Ringo, Clapton, Klaus, Nicky Hopkins etc. A Brown/Squire album would be nice. Although I'd prefer a Roses one, of course.

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Surely he's done with music. As talented as he is at what he does, it's within a fairly limited scope and that's surely ran its course. He's got his fashion label and maybe other stuff on the go so more music....could he really be bothered? Especially the way the music industry has gone.

Manimanc

Post by Manimanc » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Doing his dad dance and singing about the dolphins and the universe decked head to toe in adi with a silver mullet? Nah mate!
Time to bow out from the solo stuff brownie, that ship has sailed.

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Manimanc wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:33 pm
Doing his dad dance and singing about the dolphins and the universe decked head to toe in adi with a silver mullet? Nah mate!
Time to bow out from the solo stuff brownie, that ship has sailed.
Kinda what I was saying but I'm with ya!

He's not going to be Dylanesque and get all noodly and introspective, and that's a good thing.

He's not going to be all happy clappy, same as above.

He's not going to be a misery guts, definetly a good thing.

Poppy a la Ed Sheehan, nope. Heavy/death metal, there's a thought.

Maybe rap or reggae. Well, there's a possibility but I have my doubts about those genres.

I'm stumped and not in an enthralled way either.

candy_floss_girl

Post by candy_floss_girl » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:16 am

I was never much of a fan of his solo stuff, so I'm not that interested about him doing another album.