Ian Brown Solo

Stone Roses Discussion
Regan 2.0

Re: Ian Brown Solo

Post by Regan 2.0 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:43 pm

eviltimeban wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:45 am
It's been said before around here, UMB for me is similar to "McCartney", Macca's first solo LP. Home made, demo-y, lo-fi sounding, and not what people were expecting. There's only a few songs that don't do much for me (Ice Cold Cube, Lions), the rest is great. It's greater than the sum of it's parts, saying that Can't See My is nearly like the natural follow on from the Fools Gold sound, and the single / remix version is even better.

Golden Greats was a step up but it's a bit inconsistent - some of it sounds lo-fi, some of it more produced, doesn't gel as a whole piece. Saying that, I love Fountain, Set Me Baby Free, Neptune, and Gettin High (especially the outro).

Music of the Spheres was really where he peaked. Loved that album at the time, played it constantly for about two years. Sure, it's "soporific" for sure, but I think that was the point. Some of the remixes as well were great.

After that, a bit of a slide. Solarized had good elements and good singles, but was sort of trying to be MOTS pt 2 but didn't really work. TWIY is a great concept, sounds fantastic, but after about four songs you want something different. Strings, again??

My Way suffers from hip hop / R&B production and is dated, but has two great songs - Stellify and Always Remember Me. I also like the Year 2525 cover, and Marathon Man.

If he makes another solo album, I'd say it's going to be one of two things: a continuation of the hip hop stylings of My Way, maybe even with some guest rappers / grime artists, to back up his "street cred". Or, it'll be a fusion of all of the above - guitars / electronics / strings / some hip hop / maybe even some solo / UMB sounding parts. It'll be an interesting album if that's the case.
I think you've hit the nail on the head with your summary of the Brown solo years.

Hampden In June

Post by Hampden In June » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:53 pm

I like most of his solo stuff but not all. Each album has some great tunes and he has some really great non album tracks like all ablaze, see the dawn, fisherman friend, be there, reign. He proved he is the main man and no other Rose came close to him. I would like to hear him work with some of Squires instrumentals and also get into the reggae stuff he loves so much. It seems perfect for him, much more suitable than hip hop!! He is not a rapper! Fisherman friend is cool but it's not really rap and that is why. I would much prefer him to be doing stone roses times but f it's not happening then it will be the others who will lose out imo

eviltimeban

Post by eviltimeban » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:13 am

Hampden In June wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:53 pm
I like most of his solo stuff but not all. Each album has some great tunes and he has some really great non album tracks like all ablaze, see the dawn, fisherman friend, be there, reign. He proved he is the main man and no other Rose came close to him. I would like to hear him work with some of Squires instrumentals and also get into the reggae stuff he loves so much. It seems perfect for him, much more suitable than hip hop!! He is not a rapper! Fisherman friend is cool but it's not really rap and that is why. I would much prefer him to be doing stone roses times but f it's not happening then it will be the others who will lose out imo
Agreed, if the Roses aren't going to release a new album then I'd welcome the return of IB solo. There's a good body of work to build on; good point about the non-album singles; things like Be There and All Ablaze rank among his best songs.

squiresguitar

Post by squiresguitar » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:49 pm

Jord wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:18 pm
Couldn't give two shits about Ian solo material sadly, unless John & Mani guest in which case I'll be interested. Hopes were made too high for a new roses album. Someone threw out an idea for John & Ian to do a project like Page/Plant did, that would be good. The only thing I wish for is a revealing interview to set the record straight to a degree about what went down.
Exactly my thoughts, never been the biggest fan of Ian's solo stuff but one of the main reasons I am staying tuned for any news is simply to see if Ian spills the beans on anything regarding the roses. Also, i'd be interested if John or Mani featured on his new songs.

Badman

Post by Badman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:07 pm

I always thought of UMB as more like Lennon's first two solo albums. Mainly Plastic Ono Band: raw , stripped back production and, lyrically/emotionally, a combination of the writer's natural arrogance and self-righteousness on the one hand, and the seismic psychological shocks that they'd experienced in the preceding years on the other. UMB also sees Broony making digs at his former bandmate and writing partner all the way through it, which Lennon did on both POB and Imagine. "Ice Cold Cube" is Brown's "How do you Sleep?" (the Lennon one, not the Second Coming one, obviously) but there's plenty more trash talk on Deep Pile Dreams, Can't See Me, What Happened To Ya and (arguably) Corpses.

Andy_B9.53

Post by Andy_B9.53 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:45 pm

Badman wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:07 pm
I always thought of UMB as more like Lennon's first two solo albums. Mainly Plastic Ono Band: raw , stripped back production and, lyrically/emotionally, a combination of the writer's natural arrogance and self-righteousness on the one hand, and the seismic psychological shocks that they'd experienced in the preceding years on the other. UMB also sees Broony making digs at his former bandmate and writing partner all the way through it, which Lennon did on both POB and Imagine. "Ice Cold Cube" is Brown's "How do you Sleep?" (the Lennon one, not the Second Coming one, obviously) but there's plenty more trash talk on Deep Pile Dreams, Can't See Me, What Happened To Ya and (arguably) Corpses.
Nice post. It grabbed my attention just because I had been thinking about the fact most of the album seemed aimed at Squire, not really thinly veiled at all.
I'm not going to pretend I'm well versed with the Plastic Ono Band.. I only came across "Working Class Hero" the other day, on a playlist of Liverpool bands I found by chance.
I'm new to the forum btw mate, I'm sure there's an introduction thread, but since I'm this is regarding your post, I'll say hello.

Badman

Post by Badman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:39 pm

Hello right back at you. I'm kind of new too. Think I made a grand total of 2 or 3 posts on the old forum, despite checking it every day since the reunion. God knows why I've eventually started posting now that the game's a bogey. :?:

eviltimeban

Post by eviltimeban » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:35 am

Andy_B9.53 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:45 pm
Nice post. It grabbed my attention just because I had been thinking about the fact most of the album seemed aimed at Squire, not really thinly veiled at all.
I'm not going to pretend I'm well versed with the Plastic Ono Band.. I only came across "Working Class Hero" the other day, on a playlist of Liverpool bands I found by chance.
I'm new to the forum btw mate, I'm sure there's an introduction thread, but since I'm this is regarding your post, I'll say hello.
POB rocks. It's got some amazingly hard rocking stuff on it - Well Well Well, I Found Out, even a song like Remember packs a punch. And the screams - Mother and Well Well Well has some screaming that would've put Kurt Cobain in the corner. The production is tight, sparse (just guitar or piano / bass/ drums), and Ringo plays drums on the whole thing. And for every screaming song there's something like Love or Hold On, very gentle tracks.

Regan 2.0

Post by Regan 2.0 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:04 pm

eviltimeban wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:35 am
Andy_B9.53 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:45 pm
POB rocks. It's got some amazingly hard rocking stuff on it - Well Well Well, I Found Out, even a song like Remember packs a punch. And the screams - Mother and Well Well Well has some screaming that would've put Kurt Cobain in the corner. The production is tight, sparse (just guitar or piano / bass/ drums), and Ringo plays drums on the whole thing. And for every screaming song there's something like Love or Hold On, very gentle tracks.
POB is a great album. Arguably Lennon's best. It's challenging at times but it's far more rewarding than the sugar coated "Imagine".

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:16 pm

I've often wondered what a full Lennon and McCartney album would have been like at the time POB and McCartney were recorded and released. Like on 'The Ballad Of John and Yoko', just the two of them doing all the work. No Yoko sticking her oar in, no other musicians. They could easily have done it (with Macca on drum duties). Bet it would have been great, but George Harrison probably wouldn't have half sulked if they had done it.