Ian Brown Solo

Stone Roses Discussion
Northern Guy

Re: Ian Brown Solo

Post by Northern Guy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:57 am

His first four albums were all great in their (admittedly slightly weird) way, but the latter two were "dogshit" (as John Lennon once described his own 1972-1974 albums).

Consequently, it's now been 13 years since a good Ian Brown album. Can he do it again now, given that the Roses collectively came up with 1 half-decent song to show for 6 years reunited? Hope so, but doubtful...

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:13 am

Northern Guy wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:57 am
His first four albums were all great in their (admittedly slightly weird) way, but the latter two were "dogshit" (as John Lennon once described his own 1972-1974 albums).

Consequently, it's now been 13 years since a good Ian Brown album. Can he do it again now, given that the Roses collectively came up with 1 half-decent song to show for 6 years reunited? Hope so, but doubtful...
I don't think they were dog shit, I just think it was getting a bit too serious and he went away from the tongue-in-cheek, looser feel of his first four albums. He started banging on about "My Way" being his "What's Going On" album and while lofty ambitions is a good thing, he wasn't playing to his strengths like before, though there are some songs I like on those two albums. Even Solarised saw a bit of a drop off in quality from his first albums. I also really disliked the video for Stellify, it was just getting really predictable.

Northern Guy

Post by Northern Guy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:21 am

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:13 am
I don't think they were dog shit, I just think it was getting a bit too serious and he went away from the tongue-in-cheek, looser feel of his first four albums. He started banging on about "My Way" being his "What's Going On" album and while lofty ambitions is a good thing, he wasn't playing to his strengths like before, though there are some songs I like on those two albums. Even Solarised saw a bit of a drop off in quality from his first albums.
Yeah, if you ask me they were canine crap of the first order. From The World is Yours and My Way combined, I would want to keep "Stellify" and "Always Remember Me". The rest can disappear into a black hole as far as I'm concerned.

We also part opinions on Solarized. (See the 'solo' section for my brief reviews of each of his solo albums.)

Northern Guy

Post by Northern Guy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:21 am

Northern Guy wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:21 am
I don't think they were dog shit, I just think it was getting a bit too serious and he went away from the tongue-in-cheek, looser feel of his first four albums. He started banging on about "My Way" being his "What's Going On" album and while lofty ambitions is a good thing, he wasn't playing to his strengths like before, though there are some songs I like on those two albums. Even Solarised saw a bit of a drop off in quality from his first albums.
Yeah, if you ask me they were canine crap of the first order. From The World is Yours and My Way combined, I would want to keep "Stellify" and "Always Remember Me". The rest can disappear into a black hole as far as I'm concerned.

We also part opinions on Solarized. (See the 'Other Related Bands' section for my brief reviews of each of his solo albums.)

Andy_B9.53

Post by Andy_B9.53 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:53 pm

I didn't know what to make of UMB when it first came out, but it certainly grew on me, the 2 albums after that were great, but I think Solarized was the last one I bought, and didn't even bother with the last couple. So I have to ask myself why a new solo album does interest me.
I'm expecting a new direction after the reunion probably, at least lyrically? As far as the music goes, Just something low key and funky would be nice, some Squire,or Squire-esque guitar would also be perfect. He's been sounding better than ever.

Scotstone

Post by Scotstone » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:30 pm

His best albums are the 1st the 5th and the 6th

Northern Guy

Post by Northern Guy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:07 am

We also part opinions on Solarized. (See the 'Other Related Bands' section for my brief reviews of each of his solo albums.)

Mcc

Post by Mcc » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:23 am

I'm really looking forward to hearing more from him; ideally with Mani and John, but if just himself, then fine. I loved his solo career right up until The World is Yours. I don't hate the album, it just isn't up there with his first 4 releases for me. And I only like My Way in patches.

What I take issue with is that he'll suddenly go back to being the lad he was in the late 90's and 2000s. He's not all of a sudden going to change his wardrobe and 'sing songs about the cosmos'. Next you'll be saying he cannie hold a tune FFS.

I think he deserves a bit more respect to be honest than what he's getting on here. He was written off in 1996, destined to disappear into obscurity, and instead he came out all guns blazing, and produced innovative, entertaining, diverse, solid ever evolving work.

It's big licks from me to our Ian always.

eviltimeban

Post by eviltimeban » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:45 am

It's been said before around here, UMB for me is similar to "McCartney", Macca's first solo LP. Home made, demo-y, lo-fi sounding, and not what people were expecting. There's only a few songs that don't do much for me (Ice Cold Cube, Lions), the rest is great. It's greater than the sum of it's parts, saying that Can't See My is nearly like the natural follow on from the Fools Gold sound, and the single / remix version is even better.

Golden Greats was a step up but it's a bit inconsistent - some of it sounds lo-fi, some of it more produced, doesn't gel as a whole piece. Saying that, I love Fountain, Set Me Baby Free, Neptune, and Gettin High (especially the outro).

Music of the Spheres was really where he peaked. Loved that album at the time, played it constantly for about two years. Sure, it's "soporific" for sure, but I think that was the point. Some of the remixes as well were great.

After that, a bit of a slide. Solarized had good elements and good singles, but was sort of trying to be MOTS pt 2 but didn't really work. TWIY is a great concept, sounds fantastic, but after about four songs you want something different. Strings, again??

My Way suffers from hip hop / R&B production and is dated, but has two great songs - Stellify and Always Remember Me. I also like the Year 2525 cover, and Marathon Man.

If he makes another solo album, I'd say it's going to be one of two things: a continuation of the hip hop stylings of My Way, maybe even with some guest rappers / grime artists, to back up his "street cred". Or, it'll be a fusion of all of the above - guitars / electronics / strings / some hip hop / maybe even some solo / UMB sounding parts. It'll be an interesting album if that's the case.

f0olsgold

Post by f0olsgold » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:18 pm

Wont be too interested unless John is involved, will still listen to it though.