Ian Brown Solo

Stone Roses Discussion
eviltimeban

Re: Ian Brown Solo

Post by eviltimeban » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Scott 4 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:16 pm
I've often wondered what a full Lennon and McCartney album would have been like at the time POB and McCartney were recorded and released. Like on 'The Ballad Of John and Yoko', just the two of them doing all the work. No Yoko sticking her oar in, no other musicians. They could easily have done it (with Macca on drum duties). Bet it would have been great, but George Harrison probably wouldn't have half sulked if they had done it.
Going off topic here, but if the disagreement hadn't been between John and Paul, and it had been with, say, John and George, then Lennon and McCartney could easily have collaborated. After all, John also had George play on Imagine, as well as Ringo on POB. Paul didn't work with any of them in the early break up period, so he was definitely the one who was ostracised.

Sort of like Ian / John situation; if their relationship had been maintained after the Roses split (and they'd split up pre-Aziz), the two of them could've written or performed together.

As for the Beatles, they'd all just gotten fed up with the whole thing, and if you think about it, they crammed into 8 years what modern bands would've spread over 20.

Badman

Post by Badman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:53 pm

I agree that Plastic Ono Band is Lennon's best solo record, and I think that Unfinished Monkey Business is Ian Brown's best too.
Things is though, that I'm a massive Beatles fan, way beyond anorak level, and same with the Roses, and yet I'm just not that interested in any of the solo careers of members of either band. It's possible that there are Ian Brown albums that I'd like more than UMB, but I don't know because I haven't heard them. Similarly, I've never bothered with Lennon other than POB and some of Imagine (Crippled Inside is excellent). In both men's cases, their work appears to become increasingly sloppy, lazy and self-parodying as they drifted further away from their creative foils, barring the odd decent single.

Squire and McCartney fare even worse; Do It Yourself was one of the most crushing disappointments of my life up to that point, and I'm afraid I don't have anything good to say about TCE or Marshall's House. The music was bland, the lyrics too often unconvincingly arch and faux-intellectual and seemingly written without regard for metre or melody. And enough has been said about his voice already, but for me the worst thing about it is that it seemed laboured, manneredmannered and dishonest, like his lyrics actually. McCartney solo...well, let's just say that it's a curious thing that easily the two most musically talented men in their respective bands can lose it so comprehensively when left to their own devices.

My Beatles/Roses comparison ends there, since neither Reni nor Mani have produced an album as magnificent as All Things Must Pass, or provided the voice over for kids' tv show.

Mr Main

Post by Mr Main » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:49 am

Apparently quite a lot of the tunes the Roses worked on will be on Ian’s new album, but sadly “Mantis”- which featured Nigel Ipinson on piano- hasn’t made the cut. Perhaps it will be a b-side.

eviltimeban

Post by eviltimeban » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:20 pm

Badman wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:53 pm
I agree that Plastic Ono Band is Lennon's best solo record, and I think that Unfinished Monkey Business is Ian Brown's best too.
Things is though, that I'm a massive Beatles fan, way beyond anorak level, and same with the Roses, and yet I'm just not that interested in any of the solo careers of members of either band. It's possible that there are Ian Brown albums that I'd like more than UMB, but I don't know because I haven't heard them. Similarly, I've never bothered with Lennon other than POB and some of Imagine (Crippled Inside is excellent). In both men's cases, their work appears to become increasingly sloppy, lazy and self-parodying as they drifted further away from their creative foils, barring the odd decent single.

Squire and McCartney fare even worse; Do It Yourself was one of the most crushing disappointments of my life up to that point, and I'm afraid I don't have anything good to say about TCE or Marshall's House. The music was bland, the lyrics too often unconvincingly arch and faux-intellectual and seemingly written without regard for metre or melody. And enough has been said about his voice already, but for me the worst thing about it is that it seemed laboured, manneredmannered and dishonest, like his lyrics actually. McCartney solo...well, let's just say that it's a curious thing that easily the two most musically talented men in their respective bands can lose it so comprehensively when left to their own devices.

My Beatles/Roses comparison ends there, since neither Reni nor Mani have produced an album as magnificent as All Things Must Pass, or provided the voice over for kids' tv show.
Good earlier McCartney albums:
McCartney
Ram
Band On The Run

Good earlier Lennon albums:
POB
Imagine
Live Peace In Toronto

That's your lot. Depending on how much you like Wings, you can ignore Macca's entire 70s and 80s, with the exception of "McCartney II" which is mega. In fact, you can pretty much ignore his 90s too, until you get to Flaming Pie. Then things get better. "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard" is also definitely worth your time, as is "New". Definitely check out "Liverpool Sound Collage" as well - a virtual "new" Beatles track is created!

But "Ram" is by far the best one, and some critics believe it to be the true successor to Abbey Road as it captures the spirit of the Beatles. You can't describe Lennon's moany songs about his dead mother or Harrison's songs about god as capturing the Beatles spirit. :D

Ringo has a great solo single called "It Don't Come Easy" which George played on.

I don't think I've ever even HEARD Lennon's Mind Games and Walls & Bridges, and I'd be a massive Beatles anorak too. They just don't appeal to me. Double Fantasy was ruined by 80s production but the the "stripped down" remix is actually really good.

*generic Stone Roses comment to bring post back on topic* Seahorses, meh.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Anyone else going for that huge IB vinyl box set? I have 'Unfinished Monkey Business' and 'Greatest' on LP. But I must confess I'm tempted by this....
Also, is this upcoming set a signal that new solo stuff is imminent? :?:

http://www.ianbrown.co.uk/

jupi

Post by jupi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Scott 4 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:06 pm
Anyone else going for that huge IB vinyl box set? I have 'Unfinished Monkey Business' and 'Greatest' on LP. But I must confess I'm tempted by this....
Also, is this upcoming set a signal that new solo stuff is imminent? :?:

http://www.ianbrown.co.uk/
Sorry to disappoint you, but the vinyl box set has been around for years now. :I That has been IB's site's front page for a long long time.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:16 pm

You're right. I genuinely haven't looked at IB's site since the reunion press conference.... :roll: :) . Just shows the power of The Stone Roses.If they're around, sod everything else, including solo careers. That's my excuse anyroad. Albeit a crap one. ;)

trickydicky

Post by trickydicky » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:44 pm

I would've expected Ian or Mani to have said something by now if the band had split.

Does the silence mean they're still together?

eviltimeban

Post by eviltimeban » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:26 pm

trickydicky wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:44 pm
I would've expected Ian or Mani to have said something by now if the band had split.

Does the silence mean they're still together?
"Into the silence... what are they doing now?" :lol:

Maybe... who knows. They've shot their mouths off before. Perhaps they've had a chance to reconsider.

Manimanc

Post by Manimanc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:18 am

Solo appearance at the Manchester benefit gig in September alongside Noel Gallagher and the courteeners and Rick Astley?
Maybe definitely or not!