Stone Roses Discussion
Zander

Re: 2013 onwards

Post by Zander » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:13 am

thewiseman wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:13 am
Zander wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:49 am
More money in live performance than recorded performance these days.
But you can only keep the former going if you do the latter.

Even Brian Wilson manages the odd new album every once in a while.
Brian Wilson could tour Pet Sounds or Smile for the rest of his career with the Beach Boys Greatest Hits and people would be happy. He's got a 50 year back catalogue and still is creative.

The Roses pretty much keep touring the same setlist with only 1 song making an appearance in 5 years.That isn't enough, it's a farce.

I always said when the reunion happened new music was the most important factor, but the £ is obviously more important to the Roses these days. Why record a new album when you can make £25 off each t shirt you sell and £60 a ticket?

the cotton clouds

Post by the cotton clouds » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Interesting isn’t it? All hypothetical of course but I wonder if this had all happened in an era when albums really mattered (1970s-late 90s) and made money if they would have made sure the album got released.

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:51 pm

the cotton clouds wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:42 am
100% shambles, everything after the shows of 2013 was an utter shambles which has desecrated their reputation
Don't agree with shambles, they have had some great live performances since 13' and Beautiful Thing is decent. The magic had certainly gone though.

rangers

Post by rangers » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:23 pm

I don't want an album now, and to be honest I was against it when they first announced their reunion but changed my mind after seeing them live and hearing newish stuff like don't stop and the Fools gold outro.

There is no way men of their age could create an album that could be hailed as a classic. The trolling they got on here for their singles was ridiculous. I wouldn't attempt one personally and I hope for their sake they don't.
And in hindsight it's the correct decision.

I don't care what anybody says that Saturday night gig at the etihaad was as good a roses gig as I've been too, so it was never a waste of time or a desecration of any grave. My only gripe was the silence before the last set of gigs. People
Bought those tickets hoping to hear new material. It looks now like a cynical ploy to sell out stadiums. They chucked us a bone with the two songs to keep us happy.

I think the hope for a new album (if there ever was going to be one) was pretty much fucked after Amsterdam.

candy_floss_girl

Post by candy_floss_girl » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:42 pm

Given what we know now - triumphant return in 2012, world tour for the following year and then pack it in. That would have made for a much better ending.

New music... not sure I care as much, after the two singles. I'd take it, but I'm not fussed either way, now.

JSquire's Plectrum

Post by JSquire's Plectrum » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:09 am

post 2013, i don't think for everyone it was about the money, i thnk it was in the hope it'd all work out, despite the band fragmenting. and I'm sure they knew it was going wrong but some still wanted it, hoped for it to work out, especially if the songs were supposedly all there.

they just couldn't keep it together, 4 individuals all needed to be on the same page and they couldn't quite manage it. taking that all into studio & trying recording probably gutted (some of) them - hoping a quick tour would gell it, just confirmed that it was fucked. the showing t-shirts on stage, playing bongo's etc came across to me as a knowing sabotage and knowing contempt of what they looked like to me, there was none of that till the end was there? reminded me johnny rotten's 'ever get the feeling you've been cheated?'

JSquire's Plectrum

Post by JSquire's Plectrum » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:10 am

shame a live album never came out 2013 either - missed the boat now, would massively look like a cash in now, rather than check this out promise the new stuff soon follows

Northern Guy

Post by Northern Guy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:27 am

JSquire's Plectrum wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:10 am
shame a live album never came out 2013 either - missed the boat now, would massively look like a cash in now, rather than check this out promise the new stuff soon follows
Yes, you're right, I think. When it became obvious (c.2013-14) that any significant new material was a long ways away, why the hell didn't they assemble a live album and release it? Their live reputation is always a bit ropey, and assembling a really good collection of the best performances from Jakarta, Hong Kong, Australia, Tokyo '13, etc., would have been a really nice move. Unless they were worried that a live album would kill off interest in people paying to see them play live....? I dunno. Can never figure out these losers.