When Did You Know It Was Very Likely To Be 'Over'

Stone Roses Discussion
Awful One

When Did You Know It Was Very Likely To Be 'Over'

Post by Awful One » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:48 pm

For me it was two moments....

1.- When they announced 4 nights in Manchester Ethiad. Seemed to go against all I thought of them, and in particular the way the tickets were released with the usual weekend tickets, and then suddenly the Wednesday being released, (which I got, but did not use). I thought oh, maybe they might do something special, is new songs, or at least different sets. The actual gigs themselves pretty much confirmed it was over for me, and very unlikely to be anything progressive to come.

2.- The physical reaction of finally hearing the long awaited new song, I did feel repulsed.

made of scone

Re: When Did You Know It Was Very Likely To Be 'Over'

Post by made of scone » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:52 pm

I don't know about "over" but when they played no new material at the summer 2013 shows I knew this was no more than a cash-grab & had completely lost my enthusiasm.

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:36 pm

Around the Sydney live dates. I thought AFO was a catchy curveball and Beautiful Thing was more like it and finally momentum was building. I was wrong. I hoped for another release approaching those gigs to keep things going but it never happened.

kaustin7

Post by kaustin7 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 pm

The same setlists for Australia in Dec 2016 felt a little stale but there seemed to be people claiming to be in the know that winter (Jan, Feb, Mar of 2017) suggesting that more music would eventually come. These unreliable rumors kept me optimistic. Once those Japan gigs rolled around with the same setlist and there was not another song and no mention of an album being released it felt like it was finally ending.

I didn't mind the slight changes to the 2013 and 2016 setlists, which kept it a little fresh. Wish I had caught Going Down. Thrilled that I caught Breaking Into Heaven, Begging You and All For One in 2016, which weren't included at Heaton Park or the other 2012 shows.

I wish they had more variation in their setlists, maybe that would have kept it fresh for the band and the fans.

the cotton clouds

Post by the cotton clouds » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:31 pm

I'd go along with the Etihad being the realisation that something wasn't right and they were going about things the wrong way. Heaton Park and even Finsbury Park aren't completely corporate venues but 4 nights at MCFC was a stretch too far.

More variation of the set lists would have gone down well. They've blown it again it seems. I'd love them to come back and prove everyone wrong but its a very long shot now that this can be redeemed.
They should have buried the hatchet when they were younger. 15 years or so ago.........

rangers

Post by rangers » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:44 pm

It was mental eh. It practically was about if you viewed life with a glass half full or glass half empty because we had nothing to go on. But the clues were there. The Glastonbury rumour a few years ago and friend of band statement saying the band weren't doing anything at that time. The photo of the dusty drum kit. Same setlist. Cancelled gigs. Simon wolstencroftt interview.On a personal level after Carlisle they came out afterwards without Reni, mani saying Reni has fucked off again and Ian saying there was no album. at the Saturday etihaad gig I happened to look up at Reni when Ian stopped a song just as it started. Reni was proper raging. It just gave me a bad vibe. Sonething defo wasn't right.

rangers

Post by rangers » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 pm

The beards were fucking weird though.

Manimanc

Post by Manimanc » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:57 pm

Waiting for an album of 17 new stuffs and getting a piss poor single after a wait of 20 odd years.
Oh and it getting on for 6 years and no new album had surfaced and kind of thinking it might not be happening.
Wankers.

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 pm

The one thing I would say is this, John (let's face it, the heart of the band) said in 2013 that it would take "5 years" for an album to surface which would take us to next year. Could this most secretive of bands throw up one of the most unlikely releases yet? I'm not waiting in suspense by any means anymore, just waiting for that time to pass before I completely draw a line under it. What's there to lose, it's not like any of them or going to come out next year with another statement saying - "give us another 5 years, peeps". I also think they've completely exhausted the nostalgia tour (surely to fuck!), if there is a future for the band.

Manimanc

Post by Manimanc » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:48 pm

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 pm
The one thing I would say is this, John (let's face it, the heart of the band) said in 2013 that it would take "5 years" for an album to surface which would take us to next year. Could this most secretive of bands throw up one of the most unlikely releases yet? I'm not waiting in suspense by any means anymore, just waiting for that time to pass before I completely draw a line under it. What's there to lose, it's not like any of them or going to come out next year with another statement saying - "give us another 5 years, peeps". I also think they've completely exhausted the nostalgia tour (surely to fuck!), if there is a future for the band.
I take my hat of to you pal I really do. I admire your optimism and it's something word for word I'd say believe me BUT I think we have to let this ship sail now.
Tell you what if they do drop an album next year I'll get a utd tattoo, buy a utd season ticket and become a full utd kit wanker for 12 months and I hate utd with a passion.
The clock is ticking my friend.