When Did You Know It Was Very Likely To Be 'Over'

Stone Roses Discussion
Optimo75

Re: When Did You Know It Was Very Likely To Be 'Over'

Post by Optimo75 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:43 pm

When Reni didn't come out after the Barcelona gigs you can think "he just doesn't want the aggro". When he then vetoed Amsterdam encore, it was clear they weren't a cohesive unit. Who leaves their "band mates" high and dry at a gig ffs. Surprised they even got to 2016 in all honesty.

kaustin7

Post by kaustin7 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:08 pm

eviltimeban wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:05 am
When Ian announces a solo album. Until then, it's not really over.
Getting close

http://www.getintothis.co.uk/2017/10/st ... dly-works/

ChickenDinner

Post by ChickenDinner » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:33 pm

For me it was done when Reni didn't turn up to the Made of Stone premiere.

All this secretive/enigma stuff is tedious now. Come on folks, are you really buying that bs?

What exactly did they have to keep secret for the last few years?

No interviews was understandable as they had nothing to say as regards new material.

From the end of the 2012 gigs they were just a touring band and it was all about cashing in as much as they could with the gigs. Even that I would imagine took serious mediation from various parties, to keep the shows somewhat on the rails.

squiresguitar

Post by squiresguitar » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:12 am

When the June 2017 gigs were announced I knew we wouldn't be getting anymore material, and that this would be the last we'd hear for a while. Maybe if it wasn't such a big venue I'd think otherwise, but.

When it was 'over'? the Japan gigs, a few weeks before June.

0800666ohyeah

Post by 0800666ohyeah » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:35 pm

squiresguitar wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:12 am
a few weeks before June.
May ? ;)

Lovepedals

Post by Lovepedals » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:21 pm

As soon as I heard All for one. I was sitting with my friend at work who is not a Roses fan. I was horrified and embarrassed with the whole ordeal. There's no coming back from that!

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 pm

Thing is, with most bands who reunite (especially big ones) there is always some sort of festering resentment or old scores left over and things are never the same as they once were. George Harrison took part in the 'Free As A Bird' sessions, but he still had issues with McCartney (Harrison also was on bad terms with John Lennon at the time of his death), Don Felder left the Eagles for a second time, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones have never been 'right' (Jones himself said that), Blackmore and Gillan's antics with Deep Purple are well known, and Keith Richards admits that he and Mick Jagger haven't been best mates for a long time.

I suspect that something from the past between Reni and IB was always lurking and it finally surfaced. Maybe that's what all the group hugs were about? Trying to recapture something lost or even kid themselves that everything was OK when it wasn't? :?

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:08 am

If they'd said 'Look, we aren't the best of pals, but we're doing this for the cash', at least there'd have been some honesty about it. Everyone knows Eagles loathed one another (they even have separate buses!) but the cash was there for the taking. All the group hugs and everything's cool stuff with the Roses probably made things worse in the long run. The late Jerry Lewis had it right. He said (referring to his partnership with Deano) that after a 'divorce' things are never the same and that bitterness will always be there, no matter how much you try to hide that fact. It's true and all. I fucking hate my ex.... ;) :twisted:

Hampden In June

Post by Hampden In June » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:06 pm

Scott 4 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 pm
Thing is, with most bands who reunite (especially big ones) there is always some sort of festering resentment or old scores left over and things are never the same as they once were. George Harrison took part in the 'Free As A Bird' sessions, but he still had issues with McCartney (Harrison also was on bad terms with John Lennon at the time of his death), Don Felder left the Eagles for a second time, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones have never been 'right' (Jones himself said that), Blackmore and Gillan's antics with Deep Purple are well known, and Keith Richards admits that he and Mick Jagger haven't been best mates for a long time.

I suspect that something from the past between Reni and IB was always lurking and it finally surfaced. Maybe that's what all the group hugs were about? Trying to recapture something lost or even kid themselves that everything was OK when it wasn't? :?
Ian kinda kicked Reni out the band didn’t he

Pablopike

Post by Pablopike » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:42 pm

The Etihad gigs for me, brilliant weekend in Manchester but something wasn’t right between the band, hugs seemed rehearsed no banter wee looks between the band, just going through the motions, Hampden was a joke, IB bringing a box of maracas on to hand out like a closing down sale, plus his self promotion of his clothing brand in the run up. To me the last few years seemed solely as a money making exercise to IB, I feel for Mani as he seemed the most enthusiastic about the whole revival and left a bloody good gig with Scream for what ended up as a circus