'Growing out' of the Roses

Stone Roses Discussion
Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

'Growing out' of the Roses

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:37 pm

Maybe a bit of a funny topic as people who look at this site will be fans but was looking for people's thoughts on when they personally felt there love of the band maybe deteriorated a bit. Maybe it's listening to their songs less, thinking about them less, wondering what's going to happen next or even just how often you look at this forum etc. Really just your relationshipwith the band. Or maybe it's gone from strength to strength. Or maybe there was a big change of feeling back in 90' or 95'.

For me, this year has definetly seen a decline in my emotional attachment to the band. Nothing musically has replaced them though, I've just got other interests that has nothing to do with music. A shame really as music was a big part of my life for 20 years and now it's just a bit part in my life. Did anyone else feel there was a certain age or point in life where the band, or music in general, was just not important or anywhere near as important to them as it used to be?

Scott 4

Re: 'Growing out' of the Roses

Post by Scott 4 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:57 pm

Probably harder seeing them (allegedly) finish this time around. At least in 96 the music scene was still thriving, and there was also the brief enjoyment got out of Seahorses (just good to see JS doing something) . There was also IB's solo stuff to fall back on. Now seeing the Roses at the top of their game at various gigs and then the disappointment of 'All For One' and now knowing there will almost certainly be no album is more upsetting than even the Reading 96 cock up. At Reading, we could at least say 'That isn't the Roses. There's no John or Reni. So it doesn't count'. But there's no such denial or excuses where 'All For One' is concerned. So near and yet so far and all that. :cry: :roll:

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:07 am

Scott 4 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:57 pm
Probably harder seeing them (allegedly) finish this time around. At least in 96 the music scene was still thriving, and there was also the brief enjoyment got out of Seahorses (just good to see JS doing something) . There was also IB's solo stuff to fall back on. Now seeing the Roses at the top of their game at various gigs and then the disappointment of 'All For One' and now knowing there will almost certainly be no album is more upsetting than even the Reading 96 cock up. At Reading, we could at least say 'That isn't the Roses. There's no John or Reni. So it doesn't count'. But there's no such denial or excuses where 'All For One' is concerned. So near and yet so far and all that. :cry: :roll:
At least in 96' (before my Roses fanhood), they collapsed and it was over pretty quickly. This apparent drift into creative apathy is hard to swallow. Timing is everything, like 89' in reverse.

thomas

Post by thomas » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:15 am

You've hit the nail on the head for me personally. The old forum crashing, the band breaking up, the lack of contact and my (ever) shifting musical tastes have had a detrimental effect on how i see them. Last time i listened to a roses song was on the radio about a month ago.

Frankly I'm not interested anymore. I come here for the chat, or lack thereof, not for the insight. It even makes me cringe a bit when i see posts from the fb group (trainers tattoos all the rest of it, melts.) Lifes too short, theres other music i could be enjoying. When Ian gets his career up and running again, I'll have a listen, I'm not expecting much though.

Bit sad n'that
Glesga '13
Council house stadium '16

Manimanc

Post by Manimanc » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm more gutted this time around. I still listen to their music everyday one way or another but my emotional attachment to them has gone wafer thin whereas before it was rock solid.
They pissed me off being half arsed and too cool for school this time so sack em, thanks for the two songs or one n a half to be exact and the gigs but I feel they've lost loads of fans this time around who won't be coming back.

the cotton clouds

Post by the cotton clouds » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:35 pm

It doesn't help that music, in general now seems so throwaway. There's also very little to get excited about when it comes to music, tunes, attitude, personalities.

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:31 pm

I disagree, you have to dig a little deeper but it's still out there. I've had a fantastic year watching loads of up and coming bands filling up smaller venues. I've got 25+ bands that's I'm genuinely excited for their next release. It's a good job the Roses are no longer an option, I'm not sure I could find the time for them!!

Lovepedals

Post by Lovepedals » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:24 pm

I bet you a million pounds no one would be "growing out" of them if they even released a semi decent album. If they actually gave a flying fuck and told everyone what's going on, or what happened. Some kind of explanation for the shit show it all became. It's their fault. I don't even know if they deserved all the cash they made from the gigs. It all just seemed unrehearsed, sporadic, and such a let down!

"shake up the world"....my arse!

I know my posts all lean towards the negative, but that's just how I feel :cry:

the cotton clouds

Post by the cotton clouds » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:46 pm

paul wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:31 pm
I disagree, you have to dig a little deeper but it's still out there. I've had a fantastic year watching loads of up and coming bands filling up smaller venues. I've got 25+ bands that's I'm genuinely excited for their next release. It's a good job the Roses are no longer an option, I'm not sure I could find the time for them!!
Go on then give us a few names to look out for then, Paul.

the cotton clouds

Post by the cotton clouds » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Lovepedals wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:24 pm
I bet you a million pounds no one would be "growing out" of them if they even released a semi decent album. If they actually gave a flying fuck and told everyone what's going on, or what happened. Some kind of explanation for the shit show it all became. It's their fault. I don't even know if they deserved all the cash they made from the gigs. It all just seemed unrehearsed, sporadic, and such a let down!

"shake up the world"....my arse!

I know my posts all lean towards the negative, but that's just how I feel :cry:
To be fair the band played better than expected on the live front, especially in 2012-3, sharp as a razor.