Highlights of the Reunion

Stone Roses Discussion
Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Highlights of the Reunion

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:34 am

1. Heaton Park and seeing them for the first time. A great experience and really good performance. Also generally the first tour and especially Parr Hall.
2. Silence 2013-15. Made me hungry for more.
3. Their ability to make music exciting/an event/build up anticipation.
4. Beautiful Thing has a lot going for it.

Oh, and I'm still fond of their songs.

Scott 4

Re: Highlights of the Reunion

Post by Scott 4 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:12 am

Highlights:

Parr Hall
Heaton Park
'Don't Stop' and 'Bye Bye Badman' live
Seeing Reni play 'Second Coming' material
Beautiful Thing

Lowlights:

Amsterdam/'The drummer's a cunt'
All For One
Shane fucking Meadows
Own Brain commercials
Hampden fiasco

Manimanc

Post by Manimanc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:33 am

Just seeing the four of them together onstage again.
And only this.

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:52 am

Manimanc wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:33 am
And only this.
You can do better than this? Lemon poster first time round? The anticipation of that new song coming? Beautiful Thing has it's merits?

Heck, even not get everything you wanted and discovering other things in life as a result.

Manimanc

Post by Manimanc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:52 am
Manimanc wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:33 am
And only this.
You can do better than this? Lemon poster first time round? The anticipation of that new song coming? Beautiful Thing has it's merits?

Heck, even not get everything you wanted and discovering other things in life as a result.
No honestly it was that mate. I'd yearned and wished for years that they'd get back together and it was never going to happen, so when it was announced they'd got back together you can imagine the outpouring of joy and elation.
So when I seen the four of them walk out together at Heaton park and then take the applause at the end hand in hand with each other that was it for me,something I never thought I'd see had happened before my very eyes.
Everything else was a bonus and beautiful thing was a thing of beauty , classic roses .

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:15 pm

I get what Manimanc is saying. My mother was a massive Beatles and John Lennon fan and she always wanted to see just one Beatles reunion. She was genuinely devastated when Lennon was murdered. She also knew then it would never happen (and she wasn't too fond of the Anthology 'reunion' either). I also thought that it was unlikely to see IB, Reni, JS and Mani together again, but we did. For that alone we must be grateful.

kaustin7

Post by kaustin7 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Flying from the US and getting to see the classic line-up a total of 7 times in their hometown.

Awful One

Post by Awful One » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:41 pm

Pros...

The press conference, loved that and still watch it occasionally. Was amazing to me that so many folk were interested, it was big on the news, etc, and the subsequent wallowing in nostalgia that followed in the media.

The Parr Hall thing amd the reaction after which was absolutley glowing, and for the first time felt real. Loked the way they did it, felt like a nice thing for the fans, etc. Did actually feel they were going to do something amazing. Seeing youngsters on tv / youtube saying they had never seen anything as good (and the same when Heaton Park was on)

The video of Resurrection from Barcelona, goosebumps, tangfastic.

Flying out to Amsterdam to see em with a last minute flight / ticket (bought two days before). Hearing the new version of Fools Gold there and it blowing me away (the one somg in the set i was dreading as i had ssrioisly got bored of it... loved what they did with it)

Heaton Of Course, terrific, then knowing i had to see them again and flying oit to Lisbon shortly after, a place i would probably have never gone to other wise, and seeing an awesome festival in a beautiful city.

The use of Stoned Love for the intros.

The rush to get home from work when i believed a new tune was going to be released one afternoon (but it wasnt, a false alarm).

Think i have noted my Cons before, pretty much from the release of AFO / Manchester 4 gigs. I would also add that Amsterdam was actually a pretty disapointing gig for me, apart from the Reni drama, it was weak with what i fellt a poor crowd. Actually felt like everyone was stoned, and knackered (in the crowd), i was knackered from the flight which probabky didnt help.

I absolutley loved 2011-13

lazyitus

Post by lazyitus » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:29 pm

Seeing them live for the first and only time in my life. A band bucket list check mark that a few years ago I expected could never happen. That is certainly #1.

Next would be:
the press conference
the live rehearsal footage from the extra features disc (even though I still think IB's vocal was processed/corrected here)
numerous live clips on youtube, especially ones that happen to have good sound quality - that's always a treat
the daybreak jamming during a soundcheck with Reni scream-singing it (why the hell didn't they play this?!?!?)
beautiful thing

Northern Guy

Post by Northern Guy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Just seeing them all friends again (or were they?) was the special thing, albeit they looked older than they should have for the reunion (I mean it should have happened about six years earlier, but never mind).

The highlight for me was probably the East Asian shows (not so much Fuji Fest) in 2012, as well as some of the early 2013 ones (like Jakarta). I saw them in summer '13 in Chiba, which was quite good -- even though they looked ridiculous -- and considering sound quality + performance quality, is probably the best bootleg of the entire comeback period. But even then, I thought they were treading water and it was all a bit pointless. After that night, I've had little interest in them, and the wretched 'All For One' ended any hope that this reunion would end with great music. The 2014-2016 shows were getting a bit embarrassing, in my opinion, as is Ian Brown in general, although that's been going on for several years....