Highlights of the Reunion

Stone Roses Discussion
Supraman

Re: Highlights of the Reunion

Post by Supraman » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:59 pm

Hearing on the radio that a press conference was happening that day for a Manchester band and it could be The Stone Roses ,Oasis or the Smith's
Parr Hall looked biblical glad they included it on Made of Stone .
New songs were pretty cool Beautiful thing is a fkn cracking tune the Bass on it is mind blowing,Squires guitar is amazing on both songs.
Phoenix Park was incredible seeing Reni belting those tubs on "This is the one" was spine chilling,the crowd's biggest reaction were for Waterfall,Fools Gold ,Love spreads and This is the one and Resurrection I felt they were up against it because they are so dependant on two albums to come up with a setlist where's most bands can draw on multiple albums and song's to play on tour and can shuffle the setlist if it doesn't work the gig's went down well and they played better together than they ever did ,but had they released an album after the 2nd year of the reunion they could have ploughed on effortlessly and toured on the back of it without any pressure as Suede and Blur did and not become their own tribute band.

The low points were Amsterdam it looked like it was over before it had properly begun Christ I checked the internet every 5 mins to see if the rest of the tour was cancelled.
V festival not being shown live on TV, Fk I was pissed they blocked that broadcast at that point they were on fire and it would have had a huge audience to show how good they were .
Not doing Glastonbury again like the V festival it would have been a real huge moment ,no doubt they were asked multiple times a real shame as it's made for them,but maybe if they are asked again they might do it .
No new album ,a real Fk up they had gained this massive audience from the reunion why they didn't capitalize on it was crazy they could have put out at least 2 new albums at this point I found it very odd that they didn't because IB was so prolific in his solo career throwing out albums every 2 to 3 years and I'm sure Squire and Mani would have loved to aswell ,don't know about Reni but can't see why he wouldn't,maybe the reunion contract they signed didn't allow for it who knows or the material they worked on wasn't good enough,but if IB is doing a solo album as the rumours are suggesting we will definitely hear the reasons when he starts doing his media promo's.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:44 pm

I loved that the reunion announcement and press conference was on News At Ten (or whatever it's known as these days). It really was big doings.
IB once said something like he thought maybe JS and Reni didn't ever get how revered the truly Roses were, and how 'woven' they were into British cuture. Well, if they didn't (or don't?) know after Heaton Park, then they'll never know....

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:12 pm

The sheer surprise element of them getting them back together added with the growing fondness that was felt for them during the fallow years really did give them so much slack with so many fans/people. Those people who say they that they lost them in 2013 or so are, in my opinion, rewriting their history of what they felt at the time. Sure it was frustrating nothing was coming out but I think there was a lot of faith something great could still happen. After all, the wildnerness years (86'-88') served them so well first time around. I really do feel after the 16' gigs and two releases, they really needed to be honest with themselves if things weren't working out in terms of direction of the band (Beautiful Thing not being played live being a big indicator that things were not going well), it was time to, if not quit, leave it alone by not doing anything else.

ChickenDinner

Post by ChickenDinner » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Highlights: The nostalgia

Lowlights: The nostalgia.

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:10 pm

ChickenDinner wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:01 pm
Highlights: The nostalgia

Lowlights: The nostalgia.
Give me half a set list of nostalgia and another half of fresh material and I don't think you could go far wrong.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:32 am

A bit of nostalgia and a bit of here and now is the right balance, I agree.
U2 have just completed their 'Joshua Tree' anniversary tour, and now they have a new album coming out.
IB can call U2 'bobbins' all he wants, but at least they can do a tour and an album.

Northern Guy

Post by Northern Guy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:04 pm

I just thank God I'm a big Prince fan while also loving (having loved?) The Roses.

You couldn't find two more different artists in terms of releases and productivity.

The Roses took 5-and-a-half years to record their second and last LP. In the 11 years or so they existed after forming, they did two tours of their home country. And now, six years into their reunion, they've released 2 songs.

Meanwhile, Prince was so prolific his label continually told him to stop releasing so much product, and even his own band members couldn't keep up with him.

From mid-1983 to early 1987, the following is what he wrote and recorded -- mainly by himself, only occasionally with other musicians. Bear in mind this is what he did in less than 4 years -- the same time-span The Roses took, collectively, to release "One Love":

-- Purple Rain album (six months #1 in the USA)
-- Around the World in a Day album (#1 USA)
-- Parade album (NME Album of the Year; millions sold)
-- Sign O' The Times double album (probably his greatest-ever work; album of the year in The Village Voice)
(Sign O' The Times was itself whittled down from an original triple album.)
-- The "Black Album" (unreleased in '86/'87, eventually issued in '94)
-- The "Camille" (Prince as a female persona) album (never issued, but three of its tracks made it onto Sign O' The Times)
-- The Time's Ice Cream Castle album (over 1 million copies sold in the USA)
-- the Apollonia 6 album (featured a top-10 R&B hit)
-- Madhouse's 6 album (sold quite well, made the US charts)
-- Madhouse's 16 album
-- The Family's first album (top-20 R&B chart, includes 'Nothing Compares 2 U')
-- Sheila E's The Glamorous Life album (two top-30 US hits including the smash title song)
-- Sheila E's Romance 1600 album [Prince wrote 7 of the 8 songs] (Gold bestseller, includes top-20 hit "A Love Bizarre")
-- The Bangles' "Manic Monday" single (#2 USA, behind only... Prince at #1)
-- Jill Jones album (not a hit, but critically acclaimed)
-- recorded "4 the Tears in your Eyes" for USA for Africa

As if that weren't enough for less than 4 years' work, he also managed to film two theatrical feature films and play 117 live concerts (this period, btw, was immediately followed by the 34-date Sign O' The Times tour).

This clearly wasn't enough productivity for Prince, however, as in 1988 he started the ongoing 'After Show' routine -- starting from that year, Prince would normally play his usual show to 30,000 people and then, an hour later, would appear at a nightclub in the host city with his band (but some members would go to bed -- they were too tired) and play for another couple of hours, in front of a few hundred fans, just for fun.

A couple years ago, I downloaded the (now easy to get) 'Work It' bootleg, which is basically much of Prince's outtakes and un-released songs. It's about 30 albums of unreleased studio material, I think. It's been two years, and I've managed to get through about one-third of it. And I haven't even got started on the after-shows yet.

So, yeah, only a fool waits for The Roses to get out of bed. Lots of more prolific people to listen to and enjoy.

thewiseman

Post by thewiseman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:32 pm

It's easy to find *more* prolific artists than the Roses (Hint: everyone) - but is there a *less* prolific band / artiste?

I'm not talking about one hit wonders, Milli Vanilli types. Even the Blue Nile picked up the pace in the 1990s. Relatively speaking.

Incidentally, while I respect your opinion, I do think the Roses' work has aged far better than the Purple One's. I tried 'Lovesexy' recently and the horrible drum sounds made it quite a painful listen.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that good / listenable Prince work would fit easily on one side of a BASF c-90 :)

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 pm

Scott Walker had an eleven year gap between 1984's 'Climate Of Hunter' and 1995's 'Tilt'. Then there was a nine year gap until 'The Drift' (2006) and then six more years until he released 'Bish Bosch'.

Mind you, he's probably earned the right to put out what he likes, when he likes.
He did loads with the Walker Brothers and there was his magnificent first four solo albums from 1967 to 1969.
But the fact that the notoriously reclusive and enigmatic Scott Walker still puts more stuff out than the Roses says a lot... :roll:

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Two songs in six years :lol: ... And when one looks at what The Beatles (together and solo) did in the last 12-18 months of their career....

'Get Back/Don't Let Me Down' Single
Apple Rooftop Concert/Twickenham and Saville Row sessions
'The Ballad Of John and Yoko/Old Brown Shoe' Single
'Give Peace A Chance' Single
'Abbey Road' Album
'Instant Karma' Single
'Let It Be/You Know My Name' Single
'Let It Be' Album
'Let It Be' Film
'McCartney' Album
'Sentimental Journey' Album
'All Things Must Pass' Album
'Cold Turkey' Single
'John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band' Album

And they weren't on the best of terms at that time either.... ;)