Ruined, Tarnished, Status Quo or Enhanced?

Stone Roses Discussion
jblack

Re: Ruined, Tarnished, Status Quo or Enhanced?

Post by jblack » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:07 am

I wonder at your use of the present tense 'are'. While I realise there has been no official announcement, I think we are much more in post-Reading 96 territory than post-Glasto 95 territory at this point. Scenarios wherein they carry on under the name The Stone Roses are highly fantastical, are they not? The only plausible version is further cash cow-milking gigs after a cooling-off period. If they do that I will cover my eyes and ears and pretend it's not happening.

The slightly happier scenario of the other three carrying on and making new music is not impossible, I suppose, but absolutley none of their actions during the past five years suggest they are really capable of it.

Time to put the present tense to bed I think.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:35 pm

Reading is still a sore point amongst fans. A joke in so many ways: all of them wearing shades at the press call, the band (including Aziz and Maddix :roll: ) laying into JS (which was well out of order), the 'Stone Roses are still great' noise that echoed the cartoon Clash of the 'Cut The Crap' era, the gig itself, that daft cow dancing on the stage... IB said the band 'George Bested' it, but at Reading it was more like Paddy Roche or Slippery Jim Leighton. I personally don't like to think of Reading as a part of Roses history. Partly because they were a tribute act/circus by then, partly because no JS or Reni equals no Roses, and partly because it was bloody diabolical. At least Hampden was a better send off... ;)

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:49 pm

The reputation of the Roses fanbase was also tarnished during the 2011-2017 period... Nobody on here, of course. But various knobheads on other forums and social media. Tossers claiming to be 'in the know', attention seeking clowns claiming that they knew the lyrics to 'Mantis', pricks with countdown lemon clocks and so on... It's been great: meeting old faces and fellow fans (especially at Heaton Park), and the buzz from the gigs and 'Beautiful Thing' was ace. But this reunion didn't half bring a lot of tosspots and Twitter bullshitters out of the woodwork.

jblack

Post by jblack » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:32 am

Scott 4 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:49 pm
The reputation of the Roses fanbase was also tarnished during the 2011-2017 period... Nobody on here, of course. But various knobheads on other forums and social media. Tossers claiming to be 'in the know', attention seeking clowns claiming that they knew the lyrics to 'Mantis', pricks with countdown lemon clocks and so on... It's been great: meeting old faces and fellow fans (especially at Heaton Park), and the buzz from the gigs and 'Beautiful Thing' was ace. But this reunion didn't half bring a lot of tosspots and Twitter bullshitters out of the woodwork.
Not to be too negative, but this is an inevitable product of the band's total lack of communication and mystique-cultivation. I doubt any fan base would have been better/worse. Many of us, myself included, enabled the twitter bullshitters, because when you have nothing to go on, but have been sold hope, you'll grab at whatever you can get.

Regan 2.0

Post by Regan 2.0 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 am

jblack wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:32 am
Scott 4 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:49 pm
Not to be too negative, but this is an inevitable product of the band's total lack of communication and mystique-cultivation. I doubt any fan base would have been better/worse. Many of us, myself included, enabled the twitter bullshitters, because when you have nothing to go on, but have been sold hope, you'll grab at whatever you can get.
Wise words.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Even Hendrix has a new album coming out soon, and he's been dead for 47 years... :roll: ;)

trickydicky

Post by trickydicky » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:46 am

I think they've definitely tarnished their reputation among fans who a) consider them one of the greatest bands of all time and b) used to point to the band's meticulousness and care for their output (music, record sleeves, clothes, photo-shoots, statements, gigs) as proof of their greatness.

All For One is a failure on every measure that made them great in the first place: songwriting; musicianship; artwork; ambition.

Releasing it in any guise would have been a failure, but as a comeback single after 21 years it absolutely tarnished their reputation. Even my mates who are casual Stone Roses fans were gutted to hear it.

Yes, they were great live in 2012 but ultimately they're revered and respected because of the records, not the gigs.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:27 am

The generic re-printed lemons for the 2016/2017 tour T-Shirts, I think, showed that JS was losing interest. He always made an effort with artwork for new releases and tours. But when the same lemon (in different colours) just kept being used (like the Stones tongue) I half thought that the end was near... That's not blaming JS though. Maybe he lost interest because others did? The MSG gig T-Shirt was nice though.

squiresguitar

Post by squiresguitar » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Scott 4 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:39 pm
Even Hendrix has a new album coming out soon, and he's been dead for 47 years... :roll: ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

the cotton clouds

Post by the cotton clouds » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:51 am

trickydicky wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:46 am
I think they've definitely tarnished their reputation among fans who a) consider them one of the greatest bands of all time and b) used to point to the band's meticulousness and care for their output (music, record sleeves, clothes, photo-shoots, statements, gigs) as proof of their greatness.

All For One is a failure on every measure that made them great in the first place: songwriting; musicianship; artwork; ambition.

Releasing it in any guise would have been a failure, but as a comeback single after 21 years it absolutely tarnished their reputation. Even my mates who are casual Stone Roses fans were gutted to hear it.

Yes, they were great live in 2012 but ultimately they're revered and respected because of the records, not the gigs.
Top quality post, you have pretty much nailed it. Spot on