Ruined, Tarnished, Status Quo or Enhanced?

Stone Roses Discussion
Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Ruined, Tarnished, Status Quo or Enhanced?

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:32 pm

What one of the above words would YOU use to describe the reputation/legacy of the band now?

Scott 4

Re: Ruined, Tarnished, Status Quo or Enhanced?

Post by Scott 4 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:39 pm

Tarnished right now. But maybe ruined as the years pass.... A (well) below standard song on a one sided single ('All For One') really was taking the piss...

Always had a soft spot for Quo. My dad had the 'On The Level' 'Piledriver' and 'Hello' albums. Before they went all 'Creme Brulee' in the 80s, of course.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:12 pm

At least The Police admitted that they hated each other and that they only did that last tour for the money.... ;)

candy_floss_girl

Post by candy_floss_girl » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:46 pm

Tarnished, probably. I mean, the Debut stands as a classic album still, but it would seem more and more that it was more a fluke than the result of a highly creative and functioning band. They got lucky once when everything converged: the right band at the right time with the right songs and vibe. But it never seemed to have moved on from there. While they were gone we could imagine all the potential lost, but now people are starting to wonder if that potential in fact existed, or it hadn't all burnt out by 1994.

Still... they proved that on a good day, they can still play up there with the best.

thewiseman

Post by thewiseman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:20 am

Enhanced: Their live reputation. They showed they could deliver a consistent show at arena level. Brown in particular worked hard to atone for a deservedly poor reputation. To be fair though, this should be the absolute bare minimum you would expect from a professional band.

Ruined: All For One was the sound of their recording career being not so much nailed shut as triple-welded, hermetically sealed and entombed in concrete 50 fathoms below the Mersey Estuary.

The 'myth' of the Stone Roses finally delivering on the promise of the debut album was finally exploded. It's never happening. This is an ex band. It has ceased to be, etc.

So in balance: a score draw.

eviltimeban

Post by eviltimeban » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:30 pm

Ruined: to the mega-obsessive fans.

Tarnished: to those fans who wanted great new music but never got any

Status quo: literally everybody else in the world, even casual / day to day fans. I'm a fan since 1990 and I would say I fall into this category. Sure, I wanted an album but I'd have been happy with things that sounded like AFO and BT. Just more variation. Saying that, I don't consider their reputation tarnished.

Enchanced: to those who never got to see them live before, new fans, and those who actually genuinely liked AFO.

rangers

Post by rangers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Ruined and tarnished legacies, it's all a bit spinal tap from the resident troll Bobby.
Considering the reaction on here it was probably the right decision not to go ahead and do an album. They reunited for a live tour and the boys got paid in full. We got to see glimpses of their flawed genius with the fools gold outro and don't stop. But yeah as someone else said before they managed to pull it off. They showed they could play and fill the stadiums like your u2 or muse with no backing tapes. At times they were mediocre but at other times they were breathtaking, just like they were when they were at their peak.
My only issue was the cynical silence before the last round of gigs(which were outstanding by the way). To maximise ticket sales. They threw us a bone with the singles which were definitely rushed to appease fans before the gigs. But hey it's only rock n roll and their is no need to get all pretentious about tarnished legacies and that palava.
Would love to hear a squire album with brownie doing the vocals or at least a joint effort. Hoping their is some music written. By both on Ian's forthcoming effort. If so will john tour with him? Ah well it was good while it lasted. The gigs were fucking great.
One love

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:01 pm

rangers wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:44 pm
Ruined and tarnished legacies, it's all a bit spinal tap from the resident troll Bobby.
Considering the reaction on here it was probably the right decision not to go ahead and do an album. They reunited for a live tour and the boys got paid in full. We got to see glimpses of their flawed genius with the fools gold outro and don't stop. But yeah as someone else said before they managed to pull it off. They showed they could play and fill the stadiums like your u2 or muse with no backing tapes. At times they were mediocre but at other times they were breathtaking, just like they were when they were at their peak.
My only issue was the cynical silence before the last round of gigs(which were outstanding by the way). To maximise ticket sales. They threw us a bone with the singles which were definitely rushed to appease fans before the gigs. But hey it's only rock n roll and their is no need to get all pretentious about tarnished legacies and that palava.
Would love to hear a squire album with brownie doing the vocals or at least a joint effort. Hoping their is some music written. By both on Ian's forthcoming effort. If so will john tour with him? Ah well it was good while it lasted. The gigs were fucking great.
One love
I got the message a while back Rangers, you don’t like my posts. Like you probably don’t understand where I am coming from, I don’t understand stand why you defend them the way you do. It’s a forum! I like creating debate, hence why I also included “enhanced” but of course, you hone in on the negative side of it. So if I’m a “resident troll”, what does that make you?

made of scone

Post by made of scone » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:30 pm

RUINED, TARNISHED, RAPED, FLOGGED, DESTROYED.

ChickenDinner

Post by ChickenDinner » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Did All for one ruin their reputation for top, top, quality control, and the ability to create new material of the highest standard? I don't think so, because as bad a tune as AFO is, I get where they were coming from with it. If only they had released it as a B-side to Beautiful Thing, then I think most of us would be have been perfectly happy and excited about the potential release of further new material.

Tarnished? No. Some cracking live gigs would suggest otherwise. At some point in time during this so called reunion, it became about doing gigs for cash, with no intention to "do a new album".....and evidently band relations had well and truly soured. They have mouths to feed like the rest of us and they deserve to be millionaires for life, just on the strength of producing the first album....never mind what followed afterwards - with crooked managers/record labels etc. However, I do agree that the 2017 gigs were a very, very, cynical exercise.

Enhanced? Definitely not. Although, auto-tune definitely helped Brown to sound better during rehearsals and a few of the gigs.

Status Quo?
No. I've not seen any real signs of baldness yet from the lads. Or perhaps, they all buggered off to Istanbul for hair transplants before the 2011 press conference.