Mani selling a lot of equipment

Stone Roses Discussion
Raeganîo

Re: Mani selling a lot of equipment

Post by Raeganîo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:10 pm

I can't believe someone spent £8000 on that beaten up piece of crap.

tokyo_jester

Post by tokyo_jester » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:01 pm

Scott 4 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:02 am
I remember when the Melody Maker actually interviewed the journalist who did the 1994 Big Issue 'comeback' interview, because they were desperate for something and the band were doing their Garbo routine with the press. The (now defunct) MM should have just said, 'You don't want to talk to us? Then bollocks!'. It really was (and still is) taking the piss. Even Kate Bush and Scott Walker do more press than the Stone Roses. I've always wondered if they're all for this silence, or if certain band members would rather be out there and have some communication? IB in his solo guise never had a problem with talking to the media. Maybe it's something (else) the band can't agree on?....
I thought the whole point of this was to raise a huge amount of money for the homeless by giving the magazine an exclusive that they knew all their fans would buy. I thought it was a great gesture, that they have since been taken apart for many times...

In general, whenever I've met them, they've been pretty chatty, aside from John, who was very quiet. I'd much rather they were chatty with fans and shitty with the press than the other way around. Reference the articles last week about celebs being deliberately shitty with fans in public to encourage them to leave them alone: (J. Lawrence, for example)

candy_floss_girl

Post by candy_floss_girl » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:13 am

ChickenDinner wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:01 pm
candy_floss_girl wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:40 pm

It could be for someone in ill health. At any age.
Go on then, what's wrong with Mani's health?
The rumour going round a couple of years ago was emphysema. I don't know if that was true or not, but he definitely had breathing problems of some sort.

jblack

Post by jblack » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:41 pm

tokyo_jester wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:01 pm
Scott 4 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:02 am
I remember when the Melody Maker actually interviewed the journalist who did the 1994 Big Issue 'comeback' interview, because they were desperate for something and the band were doing their Garbo routine with the press. The (now defunct) MM should have just said, 'You don't want to talk to us? Then bollocks!'. It really was (and still is) taking the piss. Even Kate Bush and Scott Walker do more press than the Stone Roses. I've always wondered if they're all for this silence, or if certain band members would rather be out there and have some communication? IB in his solo guise never had a problem with talking to the media. Maybe it's something (else) the band can't agree on?....
I thought the whole point of this was to raise a huge amount of money for the homeless by giving the magazine an exclusive that they knew all their fans would buy. I thought it was a great gesture, that they have since been taken apart for many times...

In general, whenever I've met them, they've been pretty chatty, aside from John, who was very quiet. I'd much rather they were chatty with fans and shitty with the press than the other way around.
I don't think this makes much sense. Of course it doesn't have to be one or the other. But if I had to choose one I'd rather they were good with the press. For every fan that ever meets the band there are 10,000 who will never meet them. The media is a channel to the fans. I used to like the way that they used it -- skeptical of the medium, but aware that fans value image and message. But the total silence approach is, whatever they think or intend, two fingers to the vast majority of their fans.

tokyo_jester

Post by tokyo_jester » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:05 pm

I agree it doesn't have to be one or the other. I'd also prefer to know more about what was going on but I guess we get what we are given.

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:55 pm

I don’t really see how the can make any comment on anything with substance because they must live in some sort of limbo land. I can imagine them still having a deep working class connection and identity in many ways but - they are seriously loaded. How, for example, could they have a “message” to fans about austerity Britain in their position. They climbed to the top of the mountain so what else is there to say.

jblack

Post by jblack » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:00 pm

I think most of us would be happy if they talked about music, their own or other people's or in general. They don't need to be the voice of anyone's generation or hold politicians to account. Just communicate. Give people something to identify with (or not).

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:54 pm

jblack wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:00 pm
I think most of us would be happy if they talked about music, their own or other people's or in general. They don't need to be the voice of anyone's generation or hold politicians to account. Just communicate. Give people something to identify with (or not).
I think they would be hard pushed to talk about much musically. I mean, that band they spoke about in the press conference, where are they now? There isn’t a zeitgeist (like they were, briefly) for them to comment on so.....

jblack

Post by jblack » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:04 pm

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:54 pm
jblack wrote:
I think they would be hard pushed to talk about much musically. I mean, that band they spoke about in the press conference, where are they now? There isn’t a zeitgeist (like they were, briefly) for them to comment on so.....
If your contention is that they have nothing to say and suffer from a total lack of inspiration ... well, ok, then they shouldn't do interviews. For the record, I'm not talking about now, but during the reunion.

I doubt Ian Brown, career bollocks-talker, or John Squire, snobbish if quiet aesthete, ever lacked for opinions that they believed in. I think their choice to remain silent was either a lazy reliance on 'mystique' or a reflection of the disharmony in the band, i.e. they were afraid to talk because it might reveal that they were in total disarray the whole time.

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:59 pm

jblack wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:04 pm
Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:54 pm
jblack wrote:
If your contention is that they have nothing to say and suffer from a total lack of inspiration ... well, ok, then they shouldn't do interviews. For the record, I'm not talking about now, but during the reunion.

I doubt Ian Brown, career bollocks-talker, or John Squire, snobbish if quiet aesthete, ever lacked for opinions that they believed in. I think their choice to remain silent was either a lazy reliance on 'mystique' or a reflection of the disharmony in the band, i.e. they were afraid to talk because it might reveal that they were in total disarray the whole time.
I honestly think Brown was short of opinions when it came to modern-day music. One of the best questions at the press conference was about their views on the current music industry and he grunted back “boring” and “corporate”. So maybe the mystique we all talked about was really just a smokescreen for other problems.