They're kind of pathetic

Stone Roses Discussion
Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Re: They're kind of pathetic

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:29 pm

I really think the difference between a lot of people being pissed off with the band and not being pissed off is a few sentences IB came out with at the press conference. The other three didn’t hype it up. Imagine the same press conference minus the two or three hyped up responses IB came out with. To be fair, a lot of the press conference even IB was pretty measured and light hearted like the others. Just the “shake up the worlds” and “not a trip down memory lane” that made us believe another 89’ type thing was around the corner.

Hampden In June

Post by Hampden In June » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:51 pm

true but wasnt just IB, reni said new stuff conquers all, and he seemed right up for that. Plus the fact he never released any of his rub stuff, and squire had not done anything for a while, just had the feeling we were in for a treat. Really sad they didn't deliver much, they are still very capable. Age is not a valid excuse. Paul Simon is still writing class tunes and hes a lot older. Maybe they will meet up again and give it a real go, no more touring, just create!

Manimanc

Post by Manimanc » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:36 am

..."amateurs..."
..."amateurs."
When a comment comes back and bites you on the arse.
Wankers.

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:51 am

That whole press conference definetly got me hyped up. Not just what was said but it was all done very, well, well. It was pretty slick. This new reunion is going to be done properly. Seemed like a red herring in hindsight.

jblack

Post by jblack » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:35 am

Hampden In June wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:51 pm
true but wasnt just IB, reni said new stuff conquers all, and he seemed right up for that. Plus the fact he never released any of his rub stuff, and squire had not done anything for a while, just had the feeling we were in for a treat. Really sad they didn't deliver much, they are still very capable. Age is not a valid excuse. Paul Simon is still writing class tunes and hes a lot older. Maybe they will meet up again and give it a real go, no more touring, just create!
I second that -- Reni going out of his way to say that he was doing the reunion because of the new stuffs was a big deal. So was John saying that they went from not talking to writing songs in a heartbeat or whatever. Anyone who knows the band knows to take Ian's bluster with a grain of salt. But nobody twisted John and Reni's arms to put the focus on new material. That's what raised my hopes.

jblack

Post by jblack » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:39 am

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:51 am
That whole press conference definetly got me hyped up. Not just what was said but it was all done very, well, well. It was pretty slick. This new reunion is going to be done properly. Seemed like a red herring in hindsight.
Were you watching the same presser that I was? I found it so awkward I had to turn it off. Ian bullshitting while John looks at his fingernails, Reni babbling on at cross-purposes to the others, talking about how old and tired they were and his affection for Stewart Copeland and Larry Mullen Jr ... if they were trying to put out a slick message from a unified front they hardly could have done worse. The talk about new stuffs gave me hope anyway, but in retrospect the personal dynamics should have been a hint.

thewiseman

Post by thewiseman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:41 am

Ian bullshitting while John looks at his fingernails, Reni babbling on at cross-purposes to the others
Could be pretty much *any* Roses media appearance during the past 30 yrs TBH. At least they answered some questions and sounded up for it, unlike the Spike Island presser.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:39 am

I don't think they know (or care?) how lucky they are. They are one of the few great bands with all the members of their 'classic' line up still alive and well. Bernard Sumner once said how he would love to work with Joy Division again (with Ian Curtis still alive), and I suppose the same goes for The Beatles, The Clash, The Byrds, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc. Mind you, even a band with a man (or even two men) down can do better than the Roses. When half of the Who can put an album out ('Endless Wire') and continue to tour and the Stones (minus Brian Jones and knocking on 80) can put an album out and do gigs it does look pretty pathetic...

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:18 pm

Such a shame they didn't ditch Reni and record an album without him when it became clear he wasn't interested in recording.
A shame, but not pathetic.

Raeganîo

Post by Raeganîo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:05 pm

Spiderman wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:18 pm
Such a shame they didn't ditch Reni and record an album without him when it became clear he wasn't interested in recording.
A shame, but not pathetic.
But then John will leave and reform The Seahorses.