They're kind of pathetic

Stone Roses Discussion
User avatar
made of scone
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Re: They're kind of pathetic

Post by made of scone » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:33 pm

rangers wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:38 am
Still a bit catty though especially from a mod on a roses board.

You're a bit of a weirdo,

JSquire's Plectrum
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: They're kind of pathetic

Post by JSquire's Plectrum » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:07 pm

watching some of the live clips from when they came back up to when they stopped (hopefully just for a breather..)
when you look and listen, its interesting the band musicianship. what they change, what they play.
Peek period seems to be a year after they came back.
The last tour wow it must have been hard to play with Reni (Magnificent tho he is), he does his own thing more so than ever before
Sometimes the songs hang together inspite of him rather than because of him, Mani is the link between the rhythm of the drums and the melody ofthe song, so it mustv done his nut in tryin to keep it all aligned. Anyone else notice this much? New York tho, great gig!

ChickenDinner
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:53 am

Re: They're kind of pathetic

Post by ChickenDinner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:16 pm

made of scone wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:33 pm
rangers wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:38 am
Still a bit catty though especially from a mod on a roses board.

You're a bit of a weirdo,
Seconded.

trickydicky
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:20 am

Re: They're kind of pathetic

Post by trickydicky » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:58 pm

JSquire's Plectrum wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:07 pm
watching some of the live clips from when they came back up to when they stopped (hopefully just for a breather..)
when you look and listen, its interesting the band musicianship. what they change, what they play.
Peek period seems to be a year after they came back.
The last tour wow it must have been hard to play with Reni (Magnificent tho he is), he does his own thing more so than ever before
Sometimes the songs hang together inspite of him rather than because of him, Mani is the link between the rhythm of the drums and the melody ofthe song, so it mustv done his nut in tryin to keep it all aligned. Anyone else notice this much? New York tho, great gig!
Totally.

Reni seemed to really let himself off the leash in the final tour and not always to the benefit of the song. It seemed disjointed at times.

JSquire's Plectrum
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: They're kind of pathetic

Post by JSquire's Plectrum » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:50 pm

yep
when do you think they're all 'on it' the best tour wise?

JSquire's Plectrum
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: They're kind of pathetic

Post by JSquire's Plectrum » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:21 pm

interesting dynamics great vibe off them all here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oofIXAiX3n4 sugar spun sister has a nice few moments, love watching mani in this. everyone linking in well. happy times

thomas
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: Tyne paradise

Re: They're kind of pathetic

Post by thomas » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:45 pm

candy_floss_girl wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:19 pm


I loved Shaun Ryder in the last programme - saying that people at the record label don't allow you to say 'I'm here for the fucking money' :lol: I remember him expressing his opinion on the motivations for the Roses reunion at the time... and 'Ian's divorce' :P
Ryder is a smart chap. He's probably on the money, pardon the pun, with regards to the Ian comment. Always fascinates me though, I wonder if Ian felt thrown under the bus by the comment. There's seems to be very little said by those two bands about each other historically even though they were both kimg of the hill for a short while.
Glesga '13
Council house stadium '16

User avatar
candy_floss_girl
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:37 pm

Re: They're kind of pathetic

Post by candy_floss_girl » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:36 am

As others have noted, I was merely repeating was Shaun Ryder said at the time. Which Ian acknowledged with a wink. No cattiness at all.

I'd like to add that I don't have this romantic idealistic view of the Roses that some people have. I don't care why they got back together. My personal opinion is that at the time they really thought it could be a fun way to make money. I don't begrudge them for that. I also believe that they thought they could give it a go re: new music. It didn't work out because it's the Roses. If anything, it proved they haven't changed much :lol:

Scott 4
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:47 pm

Re: They're kind of pathetic

Post by Scott 4 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:00 pm

I thought 'good look to 'em' where the Heaton Park bonanza was concerned, because they did get screwed over by Evans and Silvertone. That said though, they got rich quick with a massive advance and a great album deal off Geffen and they still blew it. Some Roses members used to talk about being the best and aiming high, but it's obvious now (as it was then) that they just didn't want it enough. When Lennon used to do his 'Where are we going, fellahs?' speech he meant it and The Beatles worked their bollocks off: firstly live and then in the studio. Same goes for Led Zeppelin. Arthur Lee used to moan that The Doors were more successful than Love, but Morrison and his lads did all the touring and TV appearances. While Arthur refused to leave LA and his band disintegrated. The Doors wanted it more, simple as that. I used to think it was cool that the Roses refused to do 'One Love' or 'Love Spreads' on TOTP. But had they done they'd probably have two Number Ones to their name now. Now I see it as lazy, arrogant and daft. They could have been the biggest since The Beatles (certainly in Britain). But unfortunately they didn't have the Fabs' work ethic and just couldn't be arsed.... :roll:

atrack
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Re: They're kind of pathetic

Post by atrack » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Scott 4 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:00 pm
I thought 'good look to 'em' where the Heaton Park bonanza was concerned, because they did get screwed over by Evans and Silvertone. That said though, they got rich quick with a massive advance and a great album deal off Geffen and they still blew it. Some Roses members used to talk about being the best and aiming high, but it's obvious now (as it was then) that they just didn't want it enough. When Lennon used to do his 'Where are we going, fellahs?' speech he meant it and The Beatles worked their bollocks off: firstly live and then in the studio. Same goes for Led Zeppelin. Arthur Lee used to moan that The Doors were more successful than Love, but Morrison and his lads did all the touring and TV appearances. While Arthur refused to leave LA and his band disintegrated. The Doors wanted it more, simple as that. I used to think it was cool that the Roses refused to do 'One Love' or 'Love Spreads' on TOTP. But had they done they'd probably have two Number Ones to their name now. Now I see it as lazy, arrogant and daft. They could have been the biggest since The Beatles (certainly in Britain). But unfortunately they didn't have the Fabs' work ethic and just couldn't be arsed.... :roll:
It's a fair point that they're lazy, and it's hard to argue with. For me they are the best British band since the beatles, and it's hard to get your head round just how much of an arse they've made of things, time and time again.

Reni's the one that's the hardest to take however. One of the only drummers you'd pay to go and see work alone, he's that good, and he seemingly doesn't play for years and years? What is wrong with this guy? Now, if rumours are true (a big if) he's basically vetoed the chance of the band recording more new music, after releasing two singles, the first of which would be an embarrassment to the Spice Girls if they released it. I just don't understand them.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], thomas and 3 guests