Stone Roses Discussion
f0olsgold

Re: They're kind of pathetic

Post by f0olsgold » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:13 pm

Raeganîo wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:05 pm
Spiderman wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:18 pm
Such a shame they didn't ditch Reni and record an album without him when it became clear he wasn't interested in recording.
A shame, but not pathetic.
But then John will leave and reform The Seahorses.
my dream come true
confusion colours cruel designs

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:30 am

Chris Helme is gigging again. Lucky us, eh? :roll:

Imposter

Post by Imposter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjQOxXoUSCg

That's what a proper singer sounds like, son.

candy_floss_girl

Post by candy_floss_girl » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:24 am

Tangential to this... has anyone else seen the last episode of "Hits, Hype & Hustle: An Insider's Guide to the Music Business" on BBC4? It was all about the 'reunion'. No Roses in the programme but plenty other bands speak about their experience, their motivations to reunite or not reunite, those who came back with new music, those that didn't, original line ups, second chances and bands that became more successful second time around, and the way the industry views and treat reunions.
It was fascinating. It's on the iPlayer, if you missed it.

rangers

Post by rangers » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:11 pm

candy_floss_girl wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:24 am
Tangential to this... has anyone else seen the last episode of "Hits, Hype & Hustle: An Insider's Guide to the Music Business" on BBC4? It was all about the 'reunion'. No Roses in the programme but plenty other bands speak about their experience, their motivations to reunite or not reunite, those who came back with new music, those that didn't, original line ups, second chances and bands that became more successful second time around, and the way the industry views and treat reunions.
It was fascinating. It's on the iPlayer, if you missed it.
tangential ? I love it candy.
Bbc4 is by and far the best channel on our tv. The documentaries are brilliant on it. Although there doesn't seem to be as many nowadays, there is still the odd gem.
Yeah I have been watching that programme. I seen the one with Alex James, basically saying the record company wanted them to have a baggy image which was complete with their drummer mimicking Reni on their video. But yeah the next album the record company man basically told albarn his material wasn't good enough and then he came back with more songs and the rest they say is history.
I thought Shaun Ryder's book was an honest account of the music business with the role of producers and PR men.

made of scone

Post by made of scone » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:02 am

Imposter wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:17 pm

That's what a proper singer sounds like, son.
Cringe.

candy_floss_girl

Post by candy_floss_girl » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:19 pm

rangers wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:11 pm
I seen the one with Alex James, basically saying the record company wanted them to have a baggy image which was complete with their drummer mimicking Reni on their video. But yeah the next album the record company man basically told albarn his material wasn't good enough and then he came back with more songs and the rest they say is history.
I love how your hate for Blur makes you rewrite history :lol:

The record company never said the material wasn't good enough. They told him to write another single. That's quite different. As it happened he wrote For Tomorrow which is one of his best song, and put Blur back on the map. Accompanied, imo, by one of their best videos. But the whole album is one of their best - some fans consider it their best, better than Park Life... I'm not so sure, but it is a great album.

I loved Shaun Ryder in the last programme - saying that people at the record label don't allow you to say 'I'm here for the fucking money' :lol: I remember him expressing his opinion on the motivations for the Roses reunion at the time... and 'Ian's divorce' :P

rangers

Post by rangers » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:38 am

your maybe right. I just took it when Alex James said the record company man told Damon to go away and right a single he was implying the rest of the songs up until that point weren't really that good. It gave Damon the boot up the arse he needed and he came back with loads of great songs. Therefore James was giving credit to the record company man for making Damon produce his best music and making that album what it was. Which essentially what the programme and our discussion was about.

Your definitely right about one thing though I do hate blur. Damon is an utter cock and I just can't relate to him at all.
Can't help think your having a wee pop at the roses about Ian's divorce there which is true. Still a bit catty though especially from a mod on a roses board.

As for Shaun his honesty in his book about the Music business was brilliant. keyboard player could hardly play a note. The role of their producers were more important than you think.
Also when he mentioned how Kelly's heroes came about I would have to say the record company man was right again.

thewiseman

Post by thewiseman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:18 am

I'm no huge fan of Blur but their workrate in the 90s was phenomenal. Like most other bands, they utterly shame Brown & Squire. Didn't Albarn write For Tomorrow hungover in one day at his parents house?

Regan 2.0

Post by Regan 2.0 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:01 am

rangers wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:38 am
your maybe right. I just took it when Alex James said the record company man told Damon to go away and right a single he was implying the rest of the songs up until that point weren't really that good. It gave Damon the boot up the arse he needed and he came back with loads of great songs. Therefore James was giving credit to the record company man for making Damon produce his best music and making that album what it was. Which essentially what the programme and our discussion was about.

Your definitely right about one thing though I do hate blur. Damon is an utter cock and I just can't relate to him at all.
Can't help think your having a wee pop at the roses about Ian's divorce there which is true. Still a bit catty though especially from a mod on a roses board.

As for Shaun his honesty in his book about the Music business was brilliant. keyboard player could hardly play a note. The role of their producers were more important than you think.
Also when he mentioned how Kelly's heroes came about I would have to say the record company man was right again.
CFG wasn't having a pop at the Roses about Brown's motivation for the reunion. She was simply stating a fact.

Brown was questioned about Shaun Ryder's divorce comments during the 2011 press conference and he said words to the effect of "there's always some truth in Shaun Ryder's comments".

Re: Blur. 90% of their best music was made post-britpop.