Best Live Version of 'All for one'

Stone Roses Discussion
AntifaSean

Re: Best Live Version of 'All for one'

Post by AntifaSean » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:37 pm

Scott 4 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 am
I heard that Reni has to take very strong painkillers: as his knees are knackered.
IB could have been more diplomatic with the words, but it's very sad to hear (any) Roses having a pop at each other in song...
Not as stinging as, say, 'How Do Sleep' (the Lennon version) or even Macca's 'Too Many People', but still a sad end to the Roses recording legacy...
I don’t think Beautiful Thing is a dig at Reni personally. Ian singing it at the end of the Hampden show was to an extent, but prior to the big falling out at around Wembley the two of them were sound with each other on stage, and had been for me since Amsterdam. They all looked particularly happy during the period of recording the songs at Church studios as well, apart from John who never does even when he is :lol:.

In terms of All for One, my favourite live performance is Madison Square Garden. The whole gig I think was arguably their best performance since Glasgow Green ‘90 - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vLZQ79LizGQ
I would say the tune did develop live, it became more bass-heavy and it sounds to me like Mani slightly tweaked some things. The Budokan soundcheck performance definitely captures how bassy it got and also features a really cool, quite different solo from John: https://archive.org/details/06Waterfall ... soundcheck

Overall I still love the song because it carries amazing memories. The second repetition at the start used to bug me but I’ve grown to appreciate the sort of layered guitar bits that come with each hook before the relief of the quality verse parts
I don't wanna be a fat Western pig
Consuming everything in sight
I don't wanna crush you with my
Military might
All I really want is you

trickydicky

Post by trickydicky » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:55 pm

Wasn't Beautiful Thing played over the speakers at the end of the last run of gigs?

Surely this wouldn't have happened if the lyrics were a dig at Reni.

the cotton clouds

Post by the cotton clouds » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:52 pm

I remember it being played after the Etihad shows

kaustin7

Post by kaustin7 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Beautiful Thing was played as the House Music at the end of all 4 Etihad gigs and MSG when the band embraced and left the stage. I assume it was played as the House Music for all of the other ‘16 and ‘17 gigs

rangers

Post by rangers » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:02 pm

I agree about the song regarding memories. Beautiful thing came on in the car and it brought back great memories of a great brilliant summer. Carlisle with Keith and his inspired decision to sneak up to the balcony. And the Saturday at the etihaad was a great great gig. It still crosses my mind if BT was a goodbye single and the intention of all for one was to give us an anthem for those gigs. There is no footage available on the internet that can compare with the deep vibrations from mani's bass.

See Ian got caught speeding again, copped a ban this time though.

the cotton clouds

Post by the cotton clouds » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:30 pm

rangers wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:02 pm
I agree about the song regarding memories. Beautiful thing came on in the car and it brought back great memories of a great brilliant summer. Carlisle with Keith and his inspired decision to sneak up to the balcony. And the Saturday at the etihaad was a great great gig. It still crosses my mind if BT was a goodbye single and the intention of all for one was to give us an anthem for those gigs. There is no footage available on the internet that can compare with the deep vibrations from mani's bass.

See Ian got caught speeding again, copped a ban this time though.
He wants to sort himself out always speeding, about time he turned that in.
In his Lexus....

kaustin7

Post by kaustin7 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:46 pm

Driving ban shouldn't really matter at this point, it's not like he has to make rehearsals for a tour.