Second Coming--what if "Straight To The Man" and "Good Times" had been b-sides?

Stone Roses Discussion
drumbanger89

Second Coming--what if "Straight To The Man" and "Good Times" had been b-sides?

Post by drumbanger89 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Over the years I have really grown to appreciate Second Coming exactly as it is, but just curious what other posters here would think of a slightly-reduced version in which "Straight To The Man" and "Good Times" (the two songs that seem to generate the most negative responses) had not appeared on the album, but had been used as b-sides instead. Side A would end with "Your Star Will Shine," Side B would begin with "Begging You," and "Tightrope" would segue to "Tears." Running time would still be nearly an hour (not counting "The Foz").

thewiseman

Re: Second Coming--what if "Straight To The Man" and "Good Times" had been b-sides?

Post by thewiseman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:13 pm

STTM is great but I would junk Tears (pastiche), Good Times (pub rock shite), and yup - Ten Storey Love Song.

Something has nagged me about that song for years, and I finally realised the problem quite recently: It's just not very good !

This makes a nice 9 tracks. Nine track albums are always good. I would permit Tears and TSLS to be used as B-sides, but Good Times should have never, ever seen light of day.

SIDE ONE
Breaking Into Heaven
Driving South
Daybreak
Your Star Will Shine

SIDE TWO
Straight To The Man
Begging You
Tightrope
How Do You Sleep?
Love Spreads

the_midnight_rambler

Re: Second Coming--what if "Straight To The Man" and "Good Times" had been b-sides?

Post by the_midnight_rambler » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:27 pm

I'm sure most would disagree, but I've always felt Begging You should have been left off. I really like the song, but always thought it would have been better as a stand alone, non-album, single. For me it just sounds too out of place amongst the rest of the album.

f0olsgold

Post by f0olsgold » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:58 pm

the_midnight_rambler wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:27 pm
I'm sure most would disagree, but I've always felt Begging You should have been left off. I really like the song, but always thought it would have been better as a stand alone, non-album, single. For me it just sounds too out of place amongst the rest of the album.
i 100% agree

Bobby_Saxophone_2.0

Post by Bobby_Saxophone_2.0 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:24 pm

I’ve always preferred the video to Ten Storey Love Song to the actual song which I rarely listen too.

apm

Post by apm » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:09 am

My Wish List:

2nd Album

1. ONE LOVE (12 INCH)
?
?
?
5. SOMETHING'S BURNING

6. BEGGING YOU
?
?
?
10. FOOL'S GOLD (12 INCH)

3rd album
1. BREAKING INTO HEAVEN
2. DRIVING SOUTH
3. TEN STOREY LOVE SONG
4. DAYBREAK
5. YOUR STAR WILL SHINE

6. TIGHTROPE
7. GOOD TIMES
8. TEARS
9. HOW DO YOU SLEEP
10. LOVE SPREADS

eviltimeban

Post by eviltimeban » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:39 am

For me, it would be (and I've changed the running order a bit):

1. Breaking Into Heaven
2. Ten Storey Love Song
3. Daybreak
4. Your Star Will Shine
5. Ride On
6. Begging You
7. How Do You Sleep?
8. Tightrope
9. Groove Harder (with vocals)
10. Love Spreads

So we get a nice mix of groovy band stuff (BITH, Daybreak, Love Spreads), pop songs (Ten, Star, Sleep) and dirty funk jams (Ride On, Groove Harder). I know GH with vocals doesn't exist but one can dream right?

thewiseman

Post by thewiseman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:44 am

Yep, with those ? marks you've got right to the heart of the matter: The lazy bastards didn't have enough songs for a second album in 1990-91 (and forgot to write any. Oops!)

But playing along for a minute - stick a properly recorded Angels Play in there. Mooted as follow up to One Love at one point. Unreleased until Silvertone dusted off the unfinished Leckie version for a b-side. The band clearly liked it as they played it pretty much every show during 89-90.

Let's say Standing Here was also kept back. Although its presence makes SBTD a contender for the greatest 12" single ever released, Mersey Paradise & Simone would have been perfectly enough.

Let's also say Brown managed to convince Squire that 'Can't See Me' was worth progressing with. And Mani and Reni's writing credits on it eased some of the tension over £££.

Now - bit of a stretch - let's say John didn't smash up his sampler, and they finished Begging You in 1991.

Final tear at the fabric of space and time: A loose, funkier version of Breaking Into Heaven was completed in a marathon 51 day session in South Wales.

And on the last day, Squire, remembering how Bye Bye Badman was finished on the fly, nailed an early version of Ten Storey Love Song with different lyrics.

Oh, and that idea about recording Heaven Help Us All as a Gulf War protest song? That actually happened. With a gospel choir accompanying Brown and Reni at the end. And a video of Brown dressed as Jesus handing out white poppies in the Arndale.

Anyway.

THEN you might have had - stylistically a bit all over the place - but a pretty fucking good album. In a parallel universe.

SIDE ONE
1. One Love - long version
2. Can't See Me (Squire / Wren / Mounfield / Brown)
3. Angels Play
4. Standing Here

SIDE TWO
5. Ten Storey Love Song
6. Begging You
7. Heaven Help Us All (Stevie Wonder)
8. Breaking Into Heaven
Last edited by thewiseman on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

apm

Post by apm » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Nice list

apm

Post by apm » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:10 pm

Nice lists!