Beautiful Thing: backwards vocals.

Ask away and the team will do their best to answer.
MonkeyCheeseEgg

Beautiful Thing: backwards vocals.

Post by MonkeyCheeseEgg » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:49 am

Hi.

Has anyone been able to work out what the backwards vocals in Beatutiful Thing say?

I don't have the set up to do it anymore, but found a YouTube video with the whole song played backwards (the vocal in question starts at about 2:18) https://youtu.be/-uS56cYepjU

I can hear "unity" and also a "f$&k you".

Anyone have anything to add?

Cheers,
Adam.

AntifaSean

Re: Beautiful Thing: backwards vocals.

Post by AntifaSean » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Good topic mate, hope people click on this board to solve it, it's bugged me for a while. Really can't work it out. Great tune tho :D
I don't wanna be a fat Western pig
Consuming everything in sight
I don't wanna crush you with my
Military might
All I really want is you

lazyitus

Post by lazyitus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:03 pm

I don't make anything out of it backwards. But forward I hear some thing about "Jesus child" and "you're so hip" in that strange echoey vocal part.

AntifaSean

Post by AntifaSean » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:50 am

lazyitus wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:03 pm
I don't make anything out of it backwards. But forward I hear some thing about "Jesus child" and "you're so hip" in that strange echoey vocal part.
Yeah and "on our trip/ship"? I think that's the actual lyrics in the other part of the song "you're so hip, it's our route on our trip". Could be wrong though but it's what I sing hahah
I don't wanna be a fat Western pig
Consuming everything in sight
I don't wanna crush you with my
Military might
All I really want is you

MonkeyCheeseEgg

Post by MonkeyCheeseEgg » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:34 am

AntifaSean wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:50 am

Yeah and "on our trip/ship"? I think that's the actual lyrics in the other part of the song "you're so hip, it's our route on our trip". Could be wrong though but it's what I sing hahah
It could be main vocal line looped of course, but take a listen to 2:32 in this YouTube link: https://youtu.be/-uS56cYepjU.
It definitely sounds like a Manc accent "fook you", like it's spoken and not sung as it's really quick.

Seven_Ages_of_Paris

Post by Seven_Ages_of_Paris » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:13 pm

Listen to it at 75% speed on youtube and 1080p. There's a few bits in there, that aren't there by chance.

At 00:57 there's "...........People see you near" and repeated at 1:36 "Now i see it clear......."
Then at 2:15, there's "This shall be the last. Thing of the stone roses.....He keeps talking about fucking unity...........fuck you.....fuck you"
Theres also stuff after 04:00.

Rich

Post by Rich » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:21 pm

Seven_Ages_of_Paris wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:13 pm
Listen to it at 75% speed on youtube and 1080p. There's a few bits in there, that aren't there by chance.

At 00:57 there's "...........People see you near" and repeated at 1:36 "Now i see it clear......."
Then at 2:15, there's "This shall be the last. Thing of the stone roses.....He keeps talking about fucking unity...........fuck you.....fuck you"
This is interesting stuff. I wonder if this was put in after Reni's alleged walkout? I wonder if this hidden message is a factor in why Reni won't play it live? Very intriguing.

squiresguitar

Post by squiresguitar » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Seven_Ages_of_Paris wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:13 pm

I can hear 'this shall be the last thing' but I cant hear the stone roses part. Can definitely hear unity and fuck you though. Interesting.

rangers

Post by rangers » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:00 pm

I though it said Paul is dead.
Joking of course.
I really hope there is something planted in there and suggestions sound decent to me.

jblack

Post by jblack » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Perhaps I'm missing something here... But shouldn't anything that sounds 'backwards' on BT just be AFO backwards? It seems pretty clear that they used the old Don't Stop method -- spooling AFO backwards and basing the seed of a new song ('you're so hip/[something]/on our trip') on what they heard. Clearly they didn't take it further than that, but given that the backwards-sounding guitar, when played backwards, obviously comes from AFO, surely the other backwards-sounding words are just gibberish from a backwards spool of AFO?

Or are you all in agreement on that and just debating what it sounds like to you? Apologies for being obtuse if that's what's going on here.