How to get close to Squire's guitar tone?

Ask away and the team will do their best to answer.
MadFerret

How to get close to Squire's guitar tone?

Post by MadFerret » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:33 pm

I'd like to hear some discussion about Squire's gear and how to get close to it with less expensive gear.

I absolutely love his guitar work in every single track and I think his tone is amazing. However, I don't have money or space to use Twin Reverb or Mesa Boogie so I'm wondering what kind of gear would get close to that. I know I'm not the only one who has this "problem" so I'd like to hear your experiences of trying to catch the tone.

I already know about his pedals so it's mostly the amp choice that's causing me problems.

DJB1234

Re: How to get close to Squire's guitar tone?

Post by DJB1234 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi, i assume you are looking for a gigging set up, which i cant help with !

but for home practice i recently got a fender mustang modeling amp, thing with it is there are thousands of user created pre-sets to download and some are very good

I got one that makes waterfall sound just perfect in the bedroom
( its about the only thing i can play all way through, im a beginner though, im now trying to get to grips with shoot you down, which is a bit more challenging for me)

Thing is though, you can have all the gear in the world, but unless you can actualy get your hands on Mr squires fingers and touch your never gonna match it !!

DJB1234

Post by DJB1234 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:26 pm

sorry if this sort of hijacks your thread, but while on the subject of trying to sound like squire....

would you happen to know how accurate the 'official' tab books are ( i have the 2 albums & turns into stone ones, that i bought mid 90's, i only played a year or two then gave up and just started again recently)

for example, trying to learn shoot you down, ive followed a youtube tutorial from the guy from total stone roses, and it sounds pretty good, but the tab book has it down as cappoed 3rd, yet he plays it open

again, MoS in book has cappoed 7, yet ive seen it played open, and i think live JS capps 3 ?

MadFerret

Post by MadFerret » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:57 pm

DJB1234 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:11 pm
Hi, i assume you are looking for a gigging set up, which i cant help with !

but for home practice i recently got a fender mustang modeling amp, thing with it is there are thousands of user created pre-sets to download and some are very good

I got one that makes waterfall sound just perfect in the bedroom
( its about the only thing i can play all way through, im a beginner though, im now trying to get to grips with shoot you down, which is a bit more challenging for me)

Thing is though, you can have all the gear in the world, but unless you can actualy get your hands on Mr squires fingers and touch your never gonna match it !!
Oh no I'm not gigging (yet). I've only played 1.5 years so far but music and guitar playing have become the most important thing in my life ever since I started playing so I try to learn as much as possible.

I was actually buying the Mustang amp. It was supposed to be my first amp but Andertons sent me me a Marshall MG15CF instead of Mustang I V2. I didn't bother to return it because they're both cheap amps and I live in the eastern part of Europe so I just asked some money back. I've been used both Marshall and BIAS FX on PC. Couple of days ago I found some guy selling Mustang II for only 50€ near me but I wasn't quick enough to buy it. If I find good offers on used Mustangs I will still consider them. However, I'd prefer a tube amp and I'm ready to put more money on it because they sound better and keep the price well if I ever want to sell it.

And no worries about hijacking the thread :) I've used Rocksmith to help me with the songs. Adored, She Bangs and Love Spreads are official content and you can find custom made Shoot You Down (don't remember which fret you have the capo on), Good Times, Resurrection, Waterfall, Made of Stone, This is the One and Sally Cinnamon.

DJB1234

Post by DJB1234 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:30 am

i looked at the marshall MG15CFX when i was buying my amp, it was very good, and id say handled more distorted crunchier sounds better than the fender. But i thought the fender did the cleaner warmer sounds better which is more my thing, plus the added fuse software was what swung it for me

( the fuse software is excellent, you can mess with all sorts of settings and add in effects pedals etc.. and even pick different cabinet sounds, its actualy a bit overwhelming for me, but luckily there are thousands of user created settings you can download, so its far easier to just benifit from other peoples work ! )

I dont have rocksmith, but ive just been checking it out and i think i might get it, do you think it is helping you ?

( im also a gamer as well, so combining my 2 hobbies, Guitar/PS4, sounds a good move )

As i said above, i have tab books for both albums and Turns into stone, so if you are interested in having any of them just send me your email adress and the song you want and i will gladly scan it and send you

Scotstone

Post by Scotstone » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Re playing the songs. A good lesson on youTube is way better than the tab books. Not that the tab is wrong but it's much easier to follow when you can hear the riffs and break everything down into sections.

DJB1234

Post by DJB1234 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:12 am

agree with that, although theres not many roses tutorials out there, and the ones that are rarely go through a whole song, they just do the intros or main riffs usualy

but yea, tab books can be hard to follow, i like to think i know every song like the back off my hand, but the problem with the recordings is that they've got loads of little bits layered on them ( especially on SC), and so even when a tab shows what notes to play its a nightmare getting the arrangement/timing down, so you know what it should sound like, but then follow the tab and it just dosnt seem to make sense to what you know it should be

Theres no substitute of course to just getting good, and being able to play the songs by working them out yourself, or doing your own version of them. Alas, i will never be that good !

MadFerret

Post by MadFerret » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:24 pm

I actually bought the Mustang III amp today. Really good deal, cannae wait to test it properly when I get home :)

f0olsgold

Post by f0olsgold » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:58 pm

i am only 16 and been playing about 3 years, using most of that time to try and sound like john. amp choice wise, i use a fender champion 100, there about 240 new, but it is really loud and theres a few amp "presets" and apparently (i say this as ive never used a twin reverb) it is fairly similar to a twin.
DJB1234 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:26 pm
sorry if this sort of hijacks your thread, but while on the subject of trying to sound like squire....

would you happen to know how accurate the 'official' tab books are ( i have the 2 albums & turns into stone ones, that i bought mid 90's, i only played a year or two then gave up and just started again recently)

for example, trying to learn shoot you down, ive followed a youtube tutorial from the guy from total stone roses, and it sounds pretty good, but the tab book has it down as cappoed 3rd, yet he plays it open

again, MoS in book has cappoed 7, yet ive seen it played open, and i think live JS capps 3 ?

John played it cappoed at 3 in 89/90, and open during the reunion.

i have never owned a tab book or anything like that, i learn mostly by ear, resort to live videos if im strugling, but thats just me. i know most versions of every roses song so if anyone is really struggling PM me and ill be happy to post a sort of lesson on youtube, but be warned im not a qualified teacher haha!
confusion colours cruel designs

thomas

Post by thomas » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:51 pm

Get a rack mount effect as opposed to pedals, ART/ alesis etc, that covers all of the time effects.

Preferably a semi acoustic, humbucking guitar.

Dont get bogged down on the amp, as long as you have something to break it up a little (blues driver, tube screamer, fuzztone etc). Twin verbs are utterly impractical unless you're playing LARGE venues and mesas are pretty dirty amps, especially the lower wattage examples.

I can damn near nail the empress ballroom tone by using the neck p/u of my ESP through an effects processor bathed in verb/delay/chorus. Russian big muff pi to give it a bit of sustain and space around the edges going into a marshall piggyback top split between a marshall 4x12 and a silverface era fender 2x15. If you can bi amp, even better. John often split signal between a mesa boogie mk? And the two twins.
Glesga '13
Council house stadium '16