First Direct Arena, Leeds 20.06.17

Live Gigs, Tour Dates, Photos, Links to videos.
f0olsgold

Post by f0olsgold » Sun May 14, 2017 8:08 pm

RCA

Re: First Direct Arena, Leeds 20.06.17

Post by RCA » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:12 am

Leaving work soon to get the train over to Leeds.

I noticed there's standing tickets available for tonight and standing and seated tickets available for tomorrow on the venues website.

Awful One

Post by Awful One » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:52 am

Quiet in here, innit...

Ah well, here's one for all the body language experts, Resurrection with the hugs (or lack of ) at the end...

https://youtu.be/T-n8YyeUeDU

Persey Maradise

Post by Persey Maradise » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:31 am

Anyone go last night?

What was the queue for the bar like and what time did the Roses come on?

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:53 am

Awful One wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:52 am
Quiet in here, innit...

Ah well, here's one for all the body language experts, Resurrection with the hugs (or lack of ) at the end...

https://youtu.be/T-n8YyeUeDU
Well that is pretty clear-cut isn't it? Definite falling out between Ian and Reni.

sunsetsunday

Post by sunsetsunday » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 am

Slightly off-topic, noticed cameras (pro) recording on stage last night from clips on YouTube- anyone know if there were any at Wembley, Belfast, etc?

Redstar

Post by Redstar » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi,

First post here, first Roses gig also last night.

I have been a fan of the debut album for years, for me it is one of the greatest records ever made. Second Coming never made an impression on me, but I still consider myself a fan of the band. I held off on the huge gigs announced since the reunion hoping for arena size venues at maximum, so I was on Leeds like a shot when it was announced.

The venue is OK, my first time here. For me I don't like its layout, it's too wide, and although I was standing the seats are way too high for me, but then again maybe it is best to be like that rather than Manchester or the O2 Arena? For a modern area, I didn't think the sound was that good (Manchester and the O2 are as good as you can get for a UK arena). But having said that maybe it sounds better in the seats than on the floor. Took a while getting in and out but not too painful. Also, there were no ID checks on the door to prevent ticket touting, as was claimed before.

DJ Phil (was it?) played tunes through the PA at PA-type volume from 6pm I'm told. He was abruptly unplugged at pulled from stage at 8:55pm, where the band came on. The sound for the opening I Wanna Be Adored had Ian's vocals way too high in the mix, and this took until about the third song to be sorted. After that the sound mix wasn't too bad by arena standards.

I've only ever seen videos of Ian with the band and also solo, but I've heard all the stories of how he can be out of tune/off key badly and described as "hit and miss" by many. I thought he was pretty much spot on, in tune throughout and sounding fairly true to the records if I'm honest.

The crowd was fairly lively, although bizarrely low in movement and voice during Sugar Spun Sister, which was played fairly early in the set. Aside from that it was a huge singalong for the most part, as is normal for Roses gigs I know. I was sober two thirds back so I wasn't quite on the level many were, but it was great to absorb the great music for the 90 minutes that they played.

Great first gig, a little pricey but I certainly don't feel robbed.

Cedar_Room

Post by Cedar_Room » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Looks like everyone there had a good time,but for me,the soul of the band has long since departed

RCA

Post by RCA » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:43 pm

I've gotta say, I really enjoyed last nght! I think a lot of the recent negativity had somewhat clouded my excitement, but I went and enjoyed it for what it was and that was a lesson in musicianship from Squire and Reni. Holy shit I could watch them for hours.

It was noticeable that Brown entered the stage from one side and the other three from the other side, and of course Brown and Reni doing their own thing at the end. Brown sloped off at the end whilst the other three applauded the audience and particularly Reni who really seemed to enjoy it.

Whatever the band dynamics are now, I guess it's really not that important. Things change. People change.

All I know is I witnessed an almighty gig from my favourite band playing my favourite tunes. What's not to like? :)