Rate the albums: Unfinished Monkey Business

Ian Brown solo, The Seahorses, John Squire solo, Primal Scream, Aziz.

Rate UMB

8%
17%
25%
42%
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

paul
Site Admin

Rate the albums: Unfinished Monkey Business

Post by paul » Wed May 17, 2017 7:50 am

Copying Regan's idea from the old board for IB's solo albums!

Northern Guy

Re: Rate the albums: Unfinished Monkey Business

Post by Northern Guy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:42 pm

This one's a '7'. I like it quite a bit, and back in early '98 it was a just a relief to see/hear Ian alive and active again.

Still, it's still in the area of "great for committed fans, but not necessarily recommended to general fans of this kind of music". So, a solid 7.

I do think this album will probably age the best of all of his (so far), since its production sounded pretty awful and primitive even when it was issued. Rough & ready doesn't age badly.

In my younger days, I used to think "My Star" was a fabulous record. Now, though I still like it, some of its lyrical awkwardness doesn't impress me as much, and the vocals could be better. (I used to have the CD single, too.)

A lot of people love "Corpses in their Mouths". I like the original recording, and there's no denying that lovely chorus, but good grief the harmonica 'solo' is rough, and the production is so bad you have to wonder if they dropped the master-tape in the bath or something and just went with it anyway. Some of those lyrics are woeful, unfortunately, most famously: "She smokes crack / it's off the beaten track". (shudders) I think some of the luster of this song has been taken off by the years of incessantly horrendous live renditions. Once a year or two, I'll give a go to one of his latest renditions of this nice song, and every time it makes me like the song less and less.

"Can't See Me" is genius, his best-ever solo track, I think -- at least, the 'Bacon & Quarmby' remix is, which, I think, was the hit single.

The delight in this album, though, is the lesser-known tracks that are pretty solid: 'Sunshine' is Guitar 101 fun, both 'What Happened To Ya's are awesome, 'Nah-Nah' is pure tune, and 'Deep Pile Dreams' could've been a fantastic track if Brown had actually worked it up a little more (and dropped that synth-effect). It's still really great, though.

'Ice Cold Cube' is poor. That one should have just been left where it was, on stage at Reading. 'Lions' isn't awful, but it's close. The title "song" at the end is garbage, of course, but you can turn the CD off before that last track.

Fond memories of this record, and I think it will stand the test of time.

lazyitus

Re: Rate the albums: Unfinished Monkey Business

Post by lazyitus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:58 pm

Purity. Feeling. Low-fi, made at home excellence. He had sh*t to say, music to make, after the demise of the roses. Great stuff.
I'm going with a 10 although I could do without Lions.