Rate the albums : Solarized

Ian Brown solo, The Seahorses, John Squire solo, Primal Scream, Aziz.

Rate Solarized

No votes
17%
33%
33%
17%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 6

paul
Site Admin

Rate the albums : Solarized

Post by paul » Wed May 17, 2017 7:53 am

Copying Regan's idea from the old board for IB's solo albums!

Northern Guy

Re: Rate the albums : Solarized

Post by Northern Guy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:07 pm

I think I like Solarized more than most, and I score it an '8' (tied with GG as his best album).

I concede that this one is more like a collection of tracks than a coherent and unified recording, but I think the level of songwriting is very high and consistent from start to finish, and I also like the high-quality of some standout tracks. Those stand-outs would be 'Longsight M13', "Time is my Everything", "The Sweet Fantastic", and "Kiss Ya Lips (No ID)". Another one I really like is "Solarized", which nobody (but me) ever talks about, but which I think is a great track.

Beyond those, "Keep What Ya Got" is quite good, but lyrically obtuse (the kind of thing you write after smoking too much pot, but it made a lot of sense when you were stoned). "Upside Down" is quite good, if lyrically a bit high-school poetry. "Destiny or Circumstance" gets points for sounding unlike any other Brown track, and it's actually a pretty solid song. Kind of a nice, unexpected mood swing.

"Home is Where the Heart is" and "One Way Ticket to Paradise" I can barely remember as I write this... I think they were well-intentioned, but not memorable.

This is a really good album, but unfortunately he lost me after this. The next two are pretty dreadful...

lazyitus

Re: Rate the albums : Solarized

Post by lazyitus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:53 pm

One of this best. Just love it.