Rate the albums : The World Is Yours

Ian Brown solo, The Seahorses, John Squire solo, Primal Scream, Aziz.

Rate TWIY

No votes
14%
No votes
14%
29%
14%
14%
14%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 7

paul
Site Admin

Rate the albums : The World Is Yours

Post by paul » Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 am

Copying Regan's idea from the old board for IB's solo albums!

Northern Guy

Re: Rate the albums : The World Is Yours

Post by Northern Guy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:23 pm

Pretty terrible album. On the old site, I used to call it The World is Garbage, but maybe that was a bit harsh. It's more like: The World of Disappointing Mediocrity. I score this a '4'.

There's nothing wrong with Ian draping (weirdly scored) strings over every single second of every track... as long as the strings suit the songs. They do not, in most cases. They're also quite poorly scored -- whoever wrote the parts should have been fired.

Adding to this are two huge problems: (1) Ian's voice is quite bad. He previously had always come up with at least decent, sometimes quite great, vocal performances on record. Not so here. His vocals on "The World is Yours" are awful. Then, we have the issue of the range of the songs shrinking yet further into about a three-note range. Frankly, I can't listen to an entire, long album of three-note songs where every song is arranged in exactly the same way. It's like an Oasis album of even simpler songs with worse vocals. And problem number (2) is: The songs themselves blow. I mean, they're bad. I can enjoy "Sister Rose" because it's short and catchy (though he lazily just repeats the only verse twice), and "Save Us" and "Some Folks are Hollow" are passable. The latter is actually the album's best song because it has quite a unique and interesting melody (and Sinead's vocal assistance is appreciated). There are a lot of lyrical low-points on this album. (My own cringe-moment being "I don't know what you heard" in 'The Feeding of the 5000'... "Daddy used to tell me stories" is pretty bad, too).

Anyway, everybody makes a turkey at least once... unfortunately, his next album wasn't a masterpiece (though it wasn't nearly this bad).

lazyitus

Re: Rate the albums : The World Is Yours

Post by lazyitus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:53 pm

This is the other IB album near the bottom for me. I have a love hate relationship with it. Instead of including a vocal-free disc he should have included an orchestra-free disc. But it's all grown on my in some weird way. I'm a sucker for biblical references, I really like the feeding of 5,000. And in spite of the hokeyness I like Street Children too. That's one's got a great dig at the church in it. Having grown up Catholic I also sometimes wonder why everything in the church is covered in gold.