Rate the albums : Do It Yourself

Ian Brown solo, The Seahorses, John Squire solo, Primal Scream, Aziz.

Rate DIY

No votes
12%
12%
24%
12%
12%
12%
No votes
6%
12%

Total votes: 17

paul
Site Admin

Rate the albums : Do It Yourself

Post by paul » Wed May 17, 2017 7:56 am

Copying Regan's idea from the old board for IB's solo albums!

layers

Re: Rate the albums : Do It Yourself

Post by layers » Wed May 17, 2017 10:57 am

was actually listening to this a couple of days ago for the first time in a long time, it really hasn't aged well, i found it quite a chore to listen to from start to finish

Rich

Post by Rich » Thu May 18, 2017 10:47 am

layers wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 10:57 am
was actually listening to this a couple of days ago for the first time in a long time, it really hasn't aged well, i found it quite a chore to listen to from start to finish
Disagree with this, could listen to it all day - just constant John Squire riffs throughout. Love it!

made of scone

Post by made of scone » Thu May 18, 2017 3:23 pm

Very average

sizer

Post by sizer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:23 pm

Average, could be by any of the numerous churned out britpop drivel bands if not for JS's guitar work.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:30 am

Aside from JS, this album is twaddle. The playing is so pedestrian. One can only imagine Reni and Mani all over 'Love Is The Law'. Instead it's a 'Second Coming' parody. Maybe JS made a mistake in hiring 'unknowns' like Helme (knob) and the others. Who knows what he might have done if he'd hooked up with some big names? Sure, there'd have been egos and it may not have lasted very long. But the same went for Cream, CSNY, Blind Faith, and Humble Pie. But all of them did some great stuff.

I say Helme's a knob because of his public slagging of JS. Without Squire spotting him squawking outside WH Smith (or wherever it was), nobody would know who he is. At least IB had earned the right to air his views over JS (and was genuinely hurt), but Helme was just an ungrateful bellend with ideas well above his station.

jblack

Post by jblack » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:28 pm

It really does sound awful today. Sometimes when I get a real clanger on shuffle (got "Suicide Drive" a few weeks ago -- good Lord) I wonder if it isn't the very worst album I own. Makes me embarassed to have defended it at the time.

I don't think John gets a pass either. I find his playing so cliched and obnoxious on this record. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I just don't think John Squire is anything special as a blues-rock lead guitarist. He crafted some great stuff given enough time -- Love Spreads and Breaking Into Heaven stand up against anybody -- but there isn't a lot of other evidence on his side. I think a lot of his kudos stem from context -- 'hey indie boy with fringe can rawk!' In any case there are plenty of guitarists in straight-ahead rock bands who could play circles around the stuff John put down on Do It Yourself.

I remember an interview where he said that he wasn't satisfied with his guitar on TSR because it didn't sound like one guitarist. Seemed like a sign that his new style didn't just reflect a diversity of taste but also a failure to recognize what made him great in the first place.

Northern Guy

Post by Northern Guy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Very difficult album to rate. I hadn't heard it for 15 years or something, and when I listened to it a couple years ago it was better than I expected, though the production is too pop-friendly and lightweight.

Songs are a mixed-bag. I'd rate "Love is the Law" as great (despite the nonsense lyrics -- if he'd written something good, it would been a masterpiece), "The Boy in the Picture" as very good, "Love Me and Leave Me" as pretty great, and "Standing On Your Head" as superb, the best of them all. Beyond that, there's nothing essential. Helme's "Blinded By the Light" is tuneful, I guess, but it comes across as a 'Britpop-by-numbers' song and has not aged well. There are a few other pleasantly lightweight diversions, but the strength of the LP is in those 4 songs.

If you combine the 5 best songs on this album with the 5 best on Squire's first 'solo' album, you get something fantastic... just too bad about the two vocalists not sounding like they're from the same planet!

Regan 2.0

Post by Regan 2.0 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:10 am

It's an absolute howler. It sounds like a bunch of session musicians engaging in mutual musical masturbation. Shame on Squire for lowering himself to such a level. There are no redeemable features. It's a dated piece of crap and a waste of plastic. I'd even go as far as saying it's in the top 3 worst Roses related albums. Other than that....

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:01 pm

Maybe JS also wanted 'another Reni' (apparently Reni was asked to join Seahorses, but wisely turned it down)? Apparently Squire insisted on a drummer who did backing vocals. But Andy Watts' singing was atrocious (see their Jools Holland appearance). IB was right when he said Seahorses was a poor imitation.