'Growing out' of the Roses

Stone Roses Discussion
_Chimes_

Re: 'Growing out' of the Roses

Post by _Chimes_ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:30 am

paul wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:06 am
The Shimmer Band
I saw them this month (For the 2nd time - 1st was supporting Cabbage) on their UK tour supported by Blackwaters and Bang Bang Romeo. They are all excellent for different reasons.

As far as the rest of the year - I've got Mac DeMarco and Wolf Alice next month, then Liam Gallagher in December.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:03 am

The 3 greatest musicians to ever be in a band together? Cream.

f0olsgold

Post by f0olsgold » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:31 pm

Scott 4 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:03 am
The 3 greatest musicians to ever be in a band together? Cream.
If you want to go strictly on technical ability then it's no competition. Reni beats Ginger Baker by a country mile and I'd go with John over Clapton as I am right up his arse.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:27 pm

Reni is the best musician I have ever seen play live. My dad swore by Bonham, Page and Jones, but I think it's fair to say that Reni, Mani and JS are the only musicians from our time that are in that same category.

kaustin7

Post by kaustin7 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Scott 4 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:27 pm
Reni is the best musician I have ever seen play live. My dad swore by Bonham, Page and Jones, but I think it's fair to say that Reni, Mani and JS are the only musicians from our time that are in that same category.
Reni is amazing but he has only been on 2 albums and played a total of 3 gigs in the United States. Those are some weird stats for arguably the greatest drummer of a generation.

thewiseman

Post by thewiseman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:30 pm

Scott 4 wrote:
McCabe, Jones & Salisbury might have something to say about that. And they had a singer who could sing live.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Not forgetting Moon, Townshend, Entwistle and Daltrey in their prime.

rangers

Post by rangers » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:52 pm

It doesn't matter if you've got the best musicians if you haven't got any melodies . The Beatles were never the best musicians but they were the best band because of their songs (and their synchrocity). I've been collecting and listening to mccartneys and wings solo stuff these past couple of years, the man is the king of melody. His solo stuff is definitely unfairly criticised and even the middle of the road fluff on his wings material has brilliant melodies. It's why all those brilliant funk and soul classics are so good.
It's why Oasis stole the roses thunder, oasis were a shit band but they had the songs, the melodies.
It's what sets the two roses albums apart. John, mani and reni's playing on the second coming is absolutely top notch but the melodies compared to the first album are non existent. I love love spreads I really do but it's about as melodic as a phone conversation.

It doesn't matter if you're band is Hendrix, Entwhistle and baker. If you haven't got a lennon/mccartney or a Holland/dozier/Holland writing the tunes your fucked.

_Chimes_

Post by _Chimes_ » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:34 pm

thewiseman wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:30 pm
Scott 4 wrote:
McCabe, Jones & Salisbury might have something to say about that. And they had a singer who could sing live.
Fucking love and live in hope regarding the Verve.

Nick McCabe's playing gets talked about a lot (and rightly so) - but Simon Jones is such a good bassist as well! Extremley underrated.

Scott 4

Post by Scott 4 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:22 pm

I agree with rangers about the songwriting thing and especially Macca. For melodies he's virtually untouchable. 'Back Seat Of My Car' 'With A Little Luck' 'Junk/Singalong Junk' and 'Take It Away' being favourites of mine.

Abba had a similar eye (or is it ear?) for melodies. Two blokes who could write, two good looking birds who could sing. Fanny's yer auntie. ;)